𝐑𝐚𝐧𝐭: 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐥 𝐭𝐨 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬

Over the time I've spent reading stories on various platforms such as Wattpad, Fanfiction.net, and AO3, one of the most common plots I've found is that of 'Travel to The Past' stories. However, out of all these that I've read, only ONE was scientifically accurate. 

A lot of books and movies have covered time travel, and while they are over-exaggerated and improbable, the base is scientifically accurate.

So, here are the major points on time travel.

 Is time travel even possible?

Yes, in today's day, several theories have come forward which support the probability of time travel, such as Einstien's Theory of Special Relativity. However, the technology that is present isn't advanced enough to travel drastically in time. Moreover, time travel to the past is highly problematic whereas the future is fairly simpler than the past.

What are the various ways to time travel?

If we use Einstien's Theory of Special Relativity to answer this question, then time travel to the future is possible in two ways: 

1. To travel at a very high speed to travel in time. This aspect of the theory was proved in October 1971 by the Hafele–Keating experiment. Two scientists used atomic clocks to show that time travels slower in airplanes, although it is only by a few nanoseconds. 

In fact, a person has even traveled into the future this way, and that is Sergei Krivalev, who is a cosmonaut. He spent 803 days in space and traveled into his future by 0.02 seconds. 

2. Time moves slower near objects with a huge gravitational force. For example, black holes. If a person is near a black hole, then time will move slower for them than it will for people on the Earth. This will be because of the high mass of the body.

However, this isn't exactly easy, because a black hole has a gravitational force that is so large that nothing can exist near it without being pulled in. 

Time travel to the past, however, isn't possible in today's day. Science only proves the existence of being able to catch a glimpse of the past, at best. 

What, exactly, is so inaccurate about these travel to the past stories?

The thing is that time travel to the past is problematic because of the changes that a person from the future can cause there. Some of the smallest changes they make in the past can cause huge changes in the time from which the person comes.

Let's take the grandfather paradox as an example. A person goes into the past and kills their great-grandfather. Now, if they kill their great-grandfather, they aren't even born. If they aren't born, then how could they travel to the past and kill their grandfather? 

However, even this is explainable by many theories, such as the Theory of Multiverse. This theory claims that once something happens, it was in one universe. When you go back in time and change something, it creates another universe. 

Another paradox related to time travel is the 'Predestination Paradox', which states that a person will not be able to change the present. When they go into the past and do something, it shapes their present instead of changing it. So, if I go into the past and try to change something, my actions will only result in the fulfillment of the event that I had tried to prevent. 

Let's take an example for this. Someone you loved dies from an illness, and so, you go into the past and try to prevent them from falling sick. But what really happens is that you end up doing something with causes them to get the illness instead of keeping them safe from it. What you did to prevent them from dying was actually what caused their death, and this is the predestination paradox. 

Therefore, there are many logical problems that happen when one travels into the past, and it's hard to deal with that while writing a story. This is why I suggest that you do your full research on time travel before writing a story on it. 

Time travel stories are very interesting reads, but I still think they would be better if they covered more facts than fiction. 

I know that I haven't given a satisfactory enough explanation for this phenomenon, and if you have more to add, feel free to drop it in the comments! If you have any questions, drop them too, and I swear that I will do my research on them and get back to you with accurate facts.

I hope you enjoyed reading!