31/XXXI: Promise Tattoos

~Avellana~

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

I couldn't keep myself together for what we were about to do today. We were getting tattoos. Matching tattoos. I wasn't new to getting them in general, but Indy was. I wanted to be there for her, to help her get through the pain. I've been there before because of the many tattoos I have on my arms.

I was so glad that she scheduled our appointment on a Tuesday because I only had two classes on Tuesdays. What made this even better: my projects were finished and turned in early, so all my focus can return to Indy. Today might've been the only available day that she got to schedule the earliest appointment for us. I didn't mind or care. I really wanted to get matching tattoos.

I was sitting in the student lounge, reading a book I checked out from the campus library to pass the time until I got a phone call. It was Indy from the ringtone I chose for her. I immediately answered it.

"¡Hola, cariño!"

"¡Hola, bollo de miel!" I taught her that. It's "honey bun" in Spanish. Her voice couldn't sound any more sweet speaking Spanish than it did speaking English.

"You ready to go? I'm in the student lounge waiting for you." Right after I said that, I heard her snicker. "Hm? What's wrong?"

Suddenly, I felt an arm creepily wrap around my neck, which had me frozen in my seat, nearly letting my phone slip out of my hand. I recognized who it was when I felt the supple touch of lips on my cheek, kissing me a few times. I let out a huge sigh of relief. I really thought that I was about to die.

"Indy, you almost made my soul leave my body. You're lucky your lips gave it a reason to stay." I wasn't angry or anything of the sort. I deserved it because I've scared her a numerous amount of times, and some of those times weren't even on purpose.

"Well, I did want to scare you to get you back, but I'm sorry for scaring you worse than I intended to."

The sweet look in her eyes and the everlasting sweet taste of lip gloss on her lips made me want to forget what just happened.

"I wanted to get into the Halloween spirit. Harlow's Halloween party is approaching very fast, so after tattoos, you wanna go costume shopping?"

I forgot about the party. My projects had me so occupied that thinking about a costume theme for me and Indy pretty much slipped my mind. I was very excited, too, until my work got in the way. We only had nine days until the party.

"Yeah, but what about our theme? I wanted to think of one, but I got caught up in my projects. So now I'm clueless as to what we should dress up as for the party."

Indy sat down next to me and scooted her chair to where her head laid on my right shoulder. "Well, I figured you were busy, so I took the liberty to think of one to help you out. Actually, three. I was thinking maybe we could go as angel and devil, Roman goddesses, or Grease. For the Grease theme, I'll go as a pink lady, and you can go as a T-Bird. It would be so cool!"

I felt severely uncultured because I've never heard of a pink lady or a T-Bird. "I'm not sure what allat means, but that last theme sounds nice."

"Huh?!" Indy raised her head up from my shoulder and looked shocked but also disappointed. "So, you've never heard of Grease?"

"As in, hair grease, chicken grease, or...?"

"Oh my fucking god." Indy had the expression of playful wry on her face as she leaned away from me. "Disgraceful."

I was trying way too hard to not laugh that time. Every time I would say or do something that she'd never expect from me or is apparently "uncultured," she'd react like she did when we went on our first lunch together. What makes it even better is that she doesn't actually hold my "disgracefulness" against me unless it were a joking matter. All of it still remains funny to this day, and she doesn't even try to be funny. She's just naturally comical and bubbly, and that's what made me fall in love with her.