Tear Stained Cheeks

I could barely see where I was planting my feet as I ran outside. It was freezing but I didn't care as I took my blazer off and loosened my tie. The dress shoes I was forced to wear because of the uniform didn't aid me in trying to run. I left school grounds and my pace began to slow. I probably looked like a mess right now. I could feel my mascara and tear-stained cheeks.

I saw a hill with a bench a few minutes away from the school with a tree for shelter and decided to go and sit there. I sat down not even realizing that there was a silhouette leaning against the tree with a cigarette to his lips as he deeply inhaled. I sat on the bench and held my head in my hands. It felt like there was someone banging on my skull.

"Charlotte is that you?" a soft male voice questioned.

I looked up to see Nick holding a cigarette in his hands and tilting his head.

"Yep," I replied, looking away to hide my tears.

"Are you alright? You don't seem to be doing so well," he said, pulling a pack of fags from his pocket and taking one out for me.

"Thanks," I mumbled, as I took it from his hand.

"You didn't answer the question. You okay?"

"No, not really. You haven't heard?" I questioned him.

"Heard what? I've been here for most of the day. Can't handle that hellhole," he chuckled and sat down next to me.

"There have been rumors going around about me," I said "bad ones."

"Oh," was all he said as he handed me a lighter. "It can't be that bad."

"Except it is. They even vandalized my locker," I said, lighting the cig.

"Who exactly is they?" Nick raised a brow.

"I don't know. That's the worst part. Basically everyone at school is talking about me. It could have been anyone," I put the cigarette to my lips.

"Fuck 'em" he said as he got up. "Let's go back. If we're lucky you'll be able to make it to next period on time."

"I don't wanna ever go back," I looked up at him.

"It's not like you've really got a choice, Charlotte," he grinned.

The walk back to school was silent. The thing about being around Nick was that we could sit in silence for hours and still somehow not be awkward. He wasn't a very loud person and it was nice to be able to get away from the noise when I was around him.

I would have to face Alex at history and I really didn't want to. I didn't want to face anyone. Not even Olivia. They would all ask me questions and would not let it go. That's what I loved about Nick. He would say fuck everyone and just move on. Class had already started by the time me and Nick got back.

"Ah Miss Thompson, I see that you've finally decided to join us," the teacher joked as I entered the classroom. I was one of the only people not seated. I looked around to find that Alex was also nowhere to be found. I couldn't focus at all during class because my mind was only thinking about Alex. I was so focused on him that the stares from the other students didn't bother me at all. It was obvious that I had cried. My eyes were puffy and my mascara was smudged. That was the last thing on my mind right now though. Where was Alex?

As if almost on cue, Alex walked into class, out of breath.

"Turner. Please quickly find your seat and sit down. I've already had enough interruptions for today," the teacher looked at me along with a few other students.

"Where did you run off to?" Alex scolded in a whisper during class.

"Nowhere. I just decided to go on a small walk and quickly came back," I shrugged and whispered back.