Chapter 6 - Unwanted

CHAPTER 6 - UNWANTED

"Thanks for the ride." I mumbled, trying not to blush. Kyle smiled, nodding: "Anytime." Of course, he didn't mean it, was just being kind, like always. The afternoon together was nice, I mean, we worked on the fairy tale, yes, but we also chit-chatted a little and he isn't just cute, but also really funny and ... well, I felt at ease, ok, despite some blushing now and then, but I felt at ease. Opposite to Eric, Kyle talks. A lot. I mean, the boy is pretty loquacious, but nice in his blabbing.

I smiled at his response anyway, trying not to blush, which I have been trying all the afternoon, and stepped out. Kyle waved goodbye as I walked towards home.

"Mom! I'm home!" I yelled once inside, but no one responded, so I walked to the kitchen, finding both her and Paula sitting at the island, chatting about I don't know what, considering they quieted down when they saw me.

"Hey, kiddo!" Paula greeted me enthusiastically, raising her glass of red wine. I grinned, nodding. "Hi, Paula." I reached my mother and pecked her cheek as she was playing with her own glass. "How was today, sweetie?" She asked me. I shrugged as I reached the fridge to get some water. "Fine. I talked to Jamie." Mom smiled as she asked: "Oh, how's she doing?" "Fine. Says she hopes to be able to come over soon." I replied. Her smiled widened: "Oh, that's great. I miss that crazy redhead."

I grinned as I sat down next to mom and chatted with Paula a little. As far as I can remember, she's always been my mother's best friend. She was the first one to welcome us when we arrived here, but they were in college together.

Paula is a native here, never wanted to move in, better said, she had her experiences but then decided to come back home. She got married when I was 12, but divorced three years ago, for I don't know what reason. They never had children, so no problem. By then I thought it was a pity, because I found Ray, her ex husband, funny, but then, I was just a child and he'd play with me at times, giving me that male figure I never had in my life, well, technically I've had it, it was my uncle till we were in New York, he keeps acting like he's my real father and calls to check up on me, but of course, he's got not only Mike, his wife's son, but also little Julie, who they had five years ago.

"So ..." Paula started at some point, placing a hand on my thigh, once mom stood up to go check the whatever she had in the oven "Your mama tells me you're engaged in a project with some boys ..."

If I had to describe you my mother's best friend, I'd have to say she's like a blonde and older Jamie. Seriously. This woman doesn't have a filter. She just talks and talks and talks and is nosy ... really nosy.

Seeing me a bit embarrassed, she grinned, better squeezing my thigh. "Are they cute?" My cheeks beet red at her question and her grin widened. "Oh, they are, aren't they?" She implied. I bit my bottom lip as mom, sitting down again, scolded her friend for embarrassing me, but grinning. Paula defended that she was just curious and asked if I liked one of the boys, so my cheeks beet crimson and she squealed, clapping her hands, saying she knew there was something. Mom gave me a surprised look, silently asking me why didn't I tell her. "It's ... just a crush ..." I tried to defend, but Paula was gone already.

She started babbling about my having to exploit this project to be closer to my crush and maybe make him fall, because this was an incredible chance and blah, blah, blah ... things my best friend has told me already. Seriously, Paula and Jamie are incredibly similar, to the point that when I was little I wondered if they weren't actually mother and daughter. They do know each other because they've been frequenting our house much of course, and they get along, but they aren't even related, which was odd for me back then.

Anyhow, I argued that I'm not really Kyle's type, but Paula obviously wasn't of the same opinion ... "Oh, that's nonsense. Boys don't have a type. They just like to be surprised. Trust me, I know something about the male universe." She told me, winking. I rolled my eyes while mom chuckled. "Paula, I wouldn't want my daughter to end up with a record of failed relationships ..." She commented, giggling, but gaining a dirty, even if amused, look from her best friend.