Chapter 60 - Mama,be happy

a/n: in the pic,Noah

let me know what you think :)

CHAPTER 60 - MAMA, BE HAPPY

NATALIE'S POV

"Natalie, why don't you get some sleep? Things are stable now." Jake asked from beside me, hand on my shoulder. I was sitting beside the bed, head resting on the side, next to his arm, arms hiding my face. It was both because my head felt too heavy and because I wanted closeness, but also because that way I thought my cousin would think I was sleeping and he'd let me be, considering he's been asking me the same thing for the past two hours.

Two hours ago I was in Jake's arms, crying all my tears desperately because Eric had gone in shock and he was ... leaving me. For real. When Dr. Cox turned to me, Kyle and Charles and gave us the news, I couldn't take it, I crumbled down to the floor, Jake holding me as much as he could.

But I didn't even want to go on. Just one word, a very simple "sorry" said by the doctor was enough to drain out all the remaining strength. One moment I was talking to him, to try and see if he could hear me, like I have these past days, the other ... the other I hear the machine beeping louder and nurses and doctors rush inside, sending me away ...

When Dr. Cox said "sorry" I felt like my life too had come to an end. I couldn't believe it. Those were the longest and worst moments of my life. But, right when they were all going out, leaving us there to grieve, Dr. Cox froze in his spot when he heard the beeping of the machine again. We all froze. None of us could believe it. Nurses, doctor, Jake, Kyle ... we all couldn't believe our eyes and ears.

As Jake said, things are stable now. But that doesn't mean anything. Eric is technically out of the danger. But that doesn't mean anything if you consider that he's still laying on this damn bed, unconscious. So, since two hours, I've been sitting here, head resting at his side, not even able to cry anymore because I've run out of tears and in any case if those drops do leave my eyes, it hurts badly because they're bloodshot. Such a déjà vu. Only four years ago I felt the exact same. The only difference is how close I've been to losing my love for real, not just because he was out there in his dark world.

My cousin squeezed my shoulder and I slightly raised my head, but looking at Eric, barely listening when Jake repeated, for the thousandth time: "You need rest."

Not even blinking, I replied dryly: "What did you say to your friends when they wanted you to do the same after five days of Silvia being on a coma?2

Jake sighed, predictably, as he retrieved his hand, as predictably justifying: "That's different, Natalie, and you know that."

I snorted. "Is it? How? Because you're a grown man and I'm a little girl?"

He cursed lowly as he grabbed my arm harshly and spun me around to make me look at him, his expression both exasperated and grave as he spoke: "No, it's different because I had nothing else but her. You have Noah to think about and he's been asking about his mother."

I opened my mouth to argue that my son was fine, I'd purposely left him with mom so that he wouldn't have to stand the sight of his mother being so shattered and in any case, since they got here a few days ago, Noah has never once set foot in this room and he never will. At least not till his father is in these conditions and in any case not if I can help it. My son can't have memories of his dad. It'd only hurt more when he'll leave.

Because I know he will, just like I know he will wake up. Despite having been clinically dead for a minute just two hours ago, Eric is out of danger, Dr. Cox said, hence, he will wake up, it's just a matter of when, just like it's a matter of when will he leave me again.