13 | Pied Piper

My pipe awakens everything
That sound burns you up even more
You're pulled by it, you react
I'm endlessly blowing
I'm your guilty pleasure
You can't escape, never

-Pied Piper,
BTS

A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because its trust is not on the branch but on its own wings

That's what Grace followed, she was not afraid of falling because she knew she would hold herself if she does.

The reason why she didn't listen to Atharv's advice when he asked her to not stay here was her growing trust on him.

If she would've agreed to him then he would definitely figure it out. And people tend to take things for granted when they finally have it.

His words were too vague for her to agree to them.

"Were you caught up in a fight, Miss?" A voice seized her out of her thoughts.

"Hmm?" She snapped her head with a questionable look towards the source of the voice.

Draven was looking at her expectantly as he ate the fruit salad served for the breakfast. The visible injuries on her pretty face didn't help but peaked his curiosity.

As soon as Grace realised what he was implying to say, she quickly responded, "I just fell from the stairs."

"Oh," he nodded, taking a piece of strawberry and bringing it in front of his daughter's mouth. "Say aaaa." He opened his mouth slightly.

All of a sudden, an intense pain shot through her body.

Grace clenched her jaw in reflex as she winced silently, forming a fist of her navy blue pajamas under the table.

The pain was like needles that had been jammed through the flesh of her back in an agonising pace

With the increase in ache, her hand trembled more. She was not paying attention to anyone, not to the man who was feeding his daughter nor the man who had her eyes on her with a tinge of worry.

"Grace," Atharv whispered but she refused to look up, her eyes pinned on her lap. She was trained for moments like these but for some reason, the pain that she was feeling was unbearable.

His hand reached out to rest on her clenched fingers. Her body stiffened but then it seemed to relax from his touch, the grip around her pajamas loosened.

"Grace," he whispered again, causing her to turn her head. It was always serious when he used her name instead of some stupid nicknames.

The moment his eyes met hers, her breathing became softer, the pensive look on his face melted into a small smile as soft as the morning light. Her body squirmed just a little as her muscles relax. There was something about that gaze of his she had never found in another man, as if in that moment their souls have made a bridge.