17 | Blushing

Put your lips next to mine, dear
Won't you kiss me once, baby?
Just a kiss goodnight, maybe
You and I will fall in love

-Put your head on my shoulder,
PAUL ANKA

Two souls don't find each other by simple accident

Grace tried her best to trick herself into believing that she felt nothing for him.

But now that small smile on his face and a tilt in his head as he held her hand while she cursed the thorn that pierced through her middle finger was enough to put her into a trance of uncertainty.

"What were you doing?" He asked, breaking the silence of night.

Her hair was all over her face as she lowered her head, focused on her hand in his hold and slyly sneaking glances of him. It felt comforting.

The darkness of the night was the same as that of her soul but the darkness of sky helps the stars to shine brighter while she was meant to steal others' shine.

"I wanted a rose," she replied cautiously, hoping to not fuel any judgement from his side.

His irises lightening as he let out a chuckle. "You are such a child," he said.

A child.

She wished to remain a child. Everything seemed normal and fortunate back then but then she turned four. That was the beginning of all tragedy.

His cold hand brushed past her warm skin as he removed her hair that was literally masking her face.

"You slip away from this world sometimes," he spoke while he gathered all her hair in a bun with the help of the pencil that he had in his hand.

Grace stared straight at him, and Atharv stopped to look her, his hands still arranging her hair.

His hair appeared longer than it was the first time they met as it brushed his neck slightly, face swollen from cold, eyes innocently observing her to check if he messed things up by touching her hair.

Grace had a blanket around her arm and one on her legs which she shared with Atharv, their legs barely touched.

He lowered his head to properly examine her face, leaning forward and she turned her head away hastily.

There was a awkward silence for a minute till Atharv let out a laugh causing Grace to frown.

"Am I hallucinating?" he asked, amusement registered in his voice.

He clutched her chin, gently turning her to look at him. "Are you.... blushing?"

"What, no," she blurted, covering her pink cheeks with her sleeves.

"Did I get the 'I don't care about anyone', total badass Grace to blush? Wow."

"Go eat shit, I don't blush. It's cold. Stop being stupid."