THREE [ The other me ]

Hey everyone, it's me again. I'm so sorry for being unresponsive these past few days, my thesis and On the Job Training weigh heavily on my shoulders now so I have a lot to do. But I do promise you all to finish The MC forgot the plot and this story to be continued though with erratic updates. Thank you for your understanding.

"Connect me to your hotspot"

My partner in crime, in a literal sense, Devon look from behind him and snorted but did it anyway. He fished out a cigarette in his pockets and lit it up, ignoring the scrunch of my nose before I leaned to the wall.

As I connect my wifi to his phone, I scroll through the messages that I haven't opened up in messenger. I'm not well enough to pay for unlimited data nor will I afford it just to satisfy my craving for reading.

Yes, reading.

After responding to the messages unread, I opened the online novel that I was reading, hunting for new chapters and from what I knew (before) in the author's updates, the book is scheduled to finish today.

I'm reading a yandere novel about the male lead who was left behind by his scumbag father and was left with his mother to the rotten neighborhood; read how he climb up from rags to riches and trampled on those that kicked him when he was the weakest; also read the part where he and the female lead went to have the most masochistic and sadist roller coaster love where they decide to round the world with their hate and love relationship as he constantly tried to shackle her to his world.

Then there it was, Dove Chen, the moonlight of the male lead's life finally getting the justice she deserves.

"Dove! The hell, are you finished now? I have to go back to business!"

"Yeah, sorry" I replied and place my phone back in my chest pocket before returning.

Yes, Dove Chen, just like the white moonlight of the yandere male lead. Being an avid reader of the previous author's story, I was able to make my name become one of the character's names for the author's future work— and here it was.

The chains were tightly interlocked with the wrecked gate as I step inside, the doors were opened and there was my Ma with her figure still seated as she watches the absent figure of my father.

Waiting.

"You didn't eat again" I looked at the food that has now gone spoiled but I didn't throw it, I ate it since my stomach seems to have adjusted itself to our poor living quality.

Fishing out some granola bars and twinkies left in my pocket from my begging earlier, I tear them up into small pieces and feed my Ma.

"Eat Ma, otherwise Pa will worry"

"Pa.. pa..." She mumbles, again, the only time she'll react is the words Bed and Pa.

"Yes, Pa, now eat"

It didn't take long for her to finish eating, I went back to my bed and didn't waste water to wash up by wiping myself with a wet towel before going to my air mattress while my Ma slept on the couch.

There was no light, I didn't bother opening it and soon the only light that flashed in the small compartment was my phone.

In the novel, the other Dove Chen has a mother that loves her deeply even though her husband died; there in the novel she was kind and pure with no dust of corruption in her eyes; the Dove Chen she reads is what I wanted to be like, perhaps what I could be if it weren't for my weak mother.

I do blame my mother, I admit I hated her but I do love her. I still do. It's just tiring seeing the hollowed eyes that confuse to stare into the window, that seed of hope that tries to love even though there was no water for it to grow.

I hope I could be the Dove Chen in the novel and never come back here again.

***
Chapter 3 is up!

Reading makes one escape from reality and it does happen quite frequently. Creating stories of fantasy and otherworldly creatures, cliche love stories, and grounded friendships that just seem too perfect.

But then again who doesn't want to try to live in a novel?

Hope you like this chapter!

Stay safe and healthy!

Make sure to VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!