Chapter 11- Shake Your Tail

"Hey, hey, listen. We've got a message for you. We're not all alike, but our friendship is true. Yeah, we're really different, but we still get along. So, hey, hey! Listen to our song. You may think you're in control, but we're here to prove you wrong. And the friendship in our music is the power of our song! We're gonna stomp our feet, clap our hands. With the magic of friendship. Gonna stop your evil plan."

As Twilight sang, I kept playing the notes. I had confidence in Twilight, in our song. She was nervous, and I could tell. She sings so beautifully in Ponyville and here. The only reason she's off-key is because she's nervous and doesn't have enough energy in the song.

"Uh... That sounded better than the... last five times you've played it," Spike commented.

"Nope," MacIntosh said as he passed by.

"I think it's pretty obvious what's going wrong with this counter-spell," Rainbow stated.

"You're turning what should be the chorus into a five-minute guitar solo?" Applejack snapped.

"I have to pick up the slack somehow! Are you guys even trying?" Rainbow questioned.

"I'm trying," Fluttershy said shyly.

"It's fine! It'll be fine. One more time from the top!" Twilight said confidently.

"Actually, Twi, let's take a quick break," I said, noticing the maddening look in her eyes.

"Try on some of the wardrobe choices I've put together? I'm particularly fond of this one," Rarity said, changing into an outfit that looked like a marching band uniform. "Of course, I could always go with something more modern."

"We're trying to save our school here. Enough with the costumes!" Applejack shouted, annoyed.

Rarity scoffed. "You could never have enough costumes!"

"She just wants to make things fun! Isn't that what being in a band is supposed to be?" Pinkie asked grumpily.

"You don't have time for any of this! You're supposed to check into the Battle of the Bands in fifteen minutes!" Sunset argued.

We all gasped, rushing around. I fazed them out as I packed up all the equipment. I packed up my flute, taking deep breaths to calm my nerves. We made it to the gym in time for us not to be late. I put my flute together as we waited for the event to start.

"Welcome to the first ever Canterlot High School Battle of the Bands! I believe I speak for everyone when I say it is by far the greatest thing we have ever done here at this school!" Principal Celestia announced. "We are so glad our three new students encouraged us to turn this event into something exciting!"

"But, as this is now a competition, we can only choose one winner. Who is it going to be?" Vice Principal Luna asked, stirring up the arguments that were quieted down moments before.

We walked into the gym, our instruments ready. We looked around nervously. I took a deep breath. Remember what Caramel said. Remember what Caramel said.

"When you're on stage, when you're in the moment, you feel like you're floating. Remember that. Stay in that element. Reach for the clouds with your mind and your talent."

I rolled my eyes as Snips and Snails did a freestyle on stage. They spouted random things that didn't make sense. They dropped the microphones on the stage, making me wince as a loud noise rang through the gym.

"Please, do not drop the microphones," Principal Celestia said.

"In your face, Rainbooms," Snails said as the two passed us.