Wounds

"Shit!"

Zane tried to shoot down the hall to get himself some cover to run across and get to Amelia. When he stepped out to peak he quickly ducked back behind cover. He had not noticed that there were now two men down the hall, who promptly shot at him again when he had peaked around the corner.

Amelia started riping at the bottom of her shirt. Her shaky hands yanked the thin cloth until she had a long enough strip to wrap around the top of her knee. Zane watched as she struggled to create a tourniquet for herself.

He heard the men approaching and turned around the corner to fire at them again. This time they took cover in rooms that lined the hallway, letting them get closer.

"Amelia," Zane yelled. "Go back to my room."

She ignored him and ripped some of her pants to wrap around the gunshot to help stop the bleeding that was slowed down by her tourniquet. Her hands were drenched in her blood, looking like she was wearing red gloves.

"Amelia." Zane shot at the men again who tried to get closer. His ears picked up another sound that came from the hall they were in. "Do you have a death wish?" Zane snapped. He shot down the hall again more strategically, he was able to hit one of the men in the shoulder but he was still standing. "Fucking run." He had been keeping loose track of the number of bullets he had and he knew he must be out sooner than he thinks.

Amelia shook her head and covered her ears, staying right where she was seated. Zane cursed and looked around the corner to fire again, but his gun clicked. Grabbing a vase that was near him, he held it by the thin neck and stayed hidden around the corner waiting. He turned when he heard the noise again from down the hall and sighed of relief when he saw his butler. His butler ran up next to him and gave him another loaded gun.

"These are the last two." The butler spoke stoically, standing poised with his gun in hand. "Mason is coming in from behind them."

Zane was about to speak when he heard gunfire come from the hall. When he heard one of the men cry he peeked around the corner and opened fire on the men who were already falling to the ground. When Zane saw his brother he lowered his gun. Mason was standing on the other side of the hall with a cocky smile. He was holding his sniper rifle.

Now safe, Zane ran next to Amelia. He grabbed her shouldered and shook her. "For Christ's sake, why didn't you fucking run! I know it hurts but you would have been killed if my butler hadn't come."

His butler grabbed him and yanked him away from Amelia. "She was scared, Zane."

Zane grit his teeth knowing he was just pumped and just needed to cool off. "Mason, drive us to the hospital."

His brother nodded and turned down the hall. "I'll get the car."

As Mason ran off Zane turned back to Amelia. The butler started tending to her leg with a medkit he had not noticed him holding before. She sat there quietly. Her eyes were teary and hazy but focused on his butler. He tried to ask her how bad it was hurting and if he was wrapping it too tight but she was only shrugging her shoulders. She must be in shock at how calm she is.

Zane stepped forward and touched the butler's shoulder. "Go, I'll finish this."

His butler hesitated, giving Zane a look, but did as told.

Zane took his place and started finishing up what he had started. Her leg looked as if it was shivering. As he started to wrap it his hands were shaking as well, nervous to hurt her more.

"Your tourniquet isn't that bad," he slipped.

Her arms were folded over her stomach. Her pupils were large and teary as she looked at him. "I can't feel it."