Fear

"No no no, Adrian." Amelia breathed deeply through her nostrils and waved her hands as if to cool herself off. She paced slightly in front of her brother, her bright red silky dress that touched just passed her knees flowed around her as she moved. Her short white hair bounced as she shuffled around the marble floor with her bare feet. "If you're not gonna be with me, you need to get father."

Adrian sighed and put his hand on her shoulder, he made sure she was looking right at him. "I'm only gonna be gone a couple minutes to get something for Fiona. I'll be right back."

"Then take me with you."

"You know the rules. You aren't aloud to leave the house, Amelia. You can't wait for me to get back? Do you want to at least try to be alone?" Adrian asked.

Amelia shook her head, looking to her brother with wide eyes and raised brows. When she spoke her voice was wavering, "You can't leave until father gets back." She shifted her weight from one leg to another.

Giving a fake smile he sighed. "I'll call dad and see if he can be with you."

Nodding rapidly she watched as he got his phone and dialed fathers number. Father answered on the second ring.

"Adrian?"

He must have not looked at his phone before answering.

Clearing his throat he looked back at his sister as he spoke to his father. "I need to head out and get Fiona a gift so I wanted to know when you are on your way home from that meeting?"

Amelia relaxed when she knew her father will be here before Adrian left. Adrian always tried to push her to be on her own but father was the opposite. Father changed up their way of running the mafia to make sure she was with at least one of them at all times.

Adrian tried to reason with father but dad was stuck in his ways. Amelia was on father's side this time. With reluctance he agreed, knowing father had no shame in whooping his ass if he did leave her alone 'to conquer her fear'.

"Father left the meeting about an hour ago and he'll be here in about five minutes. He just reached the hill before the gate."

Smiling, Amelia whispered 'thank you'.

Carter drove past the gate and around the large fountain in their yard. He remembered his wife yelling at the kids to get out of it on hot days. Because they had a pool inside three times the size. But the memory couldn't bring a smile to his face.

Not after what he did today. Something that he never thought he would do.

Parking the car and getting out he left the door open so his butler can go park the car. Exchanging short 'welcome home's and 'good evenings's he walked up the stone step and walked inside after the door man opened it for him. Inside he walked to the living room, where Amelia came from rushing towards him and giving him a tight hug. Around his stomach, naturally his arms wrapped around her and he left a light kiss atop her white hair.

"You better get Fiona something good," Carter jokingly warned his son as he walked by. "I have a gut feeling she has better taste than your mother."

Amelia giggled as Adrian waved at father. "I'll be back," he growled playfully as he rushed out the door.

"Now, snowflake." He looked down at Amelia. "Let's go make dinner before your brother comes back and has a fit."

Amelia smiled and followed her father into the kitchen.

***

~Two Hours Earlier~

Turing off into a tight and dark alley that led to a warehouse Carter drove until he came upon three black vehicles. One, in the middle, being a limousine. People armed with guns approached his car, expecting him. He raised his hands away from the wheel and got out of the car as instructed. As they approached the limousine he was patted down and his gun and switchblade were removed.

His face was flat but he gave no one any looks. None of the men bothered to look at him in the face, only telling him that he will get his stuff back after.

The driver opened the door for Carter. Cater saw the man he wanted to speak with at one end of the limousine. Another man with a gun sat at the other end.

"Leave," the man spoke. His voice was rough and had little patience laced in it.

Without hesitation the armed man left. Leaving Carter and the man alone in the vehicle. He took a seat not on the other end of the limousine but far enough to still converse. The door shut and Carter could feel the limousine move. Sitting back he watched the man serve himself a glass.

"You don't seem happy that I kicked out my security," he poured a second glass and handed it to Carter.

Carter took the glass and swirled the liquid around. "Zane, we both know at my age I'm practically helpless without a gun." He sipped the alcohol, happy that Zane had good taste. "I'd probably break a hip if I tried anything."

Zane chuckled. "Men who know their place on the food chain last longer than those who don't."

"We aren't here to talk about my old age."

Carter noticed the threat in Zane's eyes as he spoke lightly, "Of course." He sipped from his glass again and leaned back in his seat. "I'm glad you decided to be compliant. Of course you know that either way she would be mine, but I feel like you didn't just come here to tell me you will lend your daughter to me."

Carter pulled out a small flash drive and reached out his hand to give to Zane. With caution Zane grabbed it.

"Its her health records and her mental history along with recommended therapist."

Zane looked up from the flash drive, "Therapist?"

"She has a bad case of autophobia, the fear of being alone or abandon." Carter sipped the rest of his drink. "She couldn't be alone and for the past three years me and my son have took turns leaving the house. She can only be with me or Adrian. I've tried a nanny or her friends but she gets hysterical."

Carter sat up in his seat and leaned forward. Zane looked at him seriously.

"She is almost twenty one Zane and she cannot function as an adult. She cannot cook or clean without me or Adrian within line of sight. If you, Zane, want her you need to understand that she will not be some lady you can take home and fuck on the first night."

Zane could see Carter's plea in his eyes.

Before Carter could show too much weakness he shrugged and lean back in his seat. Feeling queasy. "I don't want to go into it. Everything there is to know about it is in that flash drive."

Zane noticed how distant Carter became. He smiled and served himself another drink.

"Tomorrow."

Carter looked at him, "Pardon?"

He sipped his new glass, "Tomorrow, I'll meet her."

Carter was about to speak but the glint in Zane's eyes kept his mouth shut.