Chapter 6: A giant pain in my ass

"Fuck!" blurted from my mouth as I grabbed Leon's arm and threw us toward the back wall of the pen.

The giant growled, eyes tracking the movement as we hurried behind one of the standing sheds.

"What's the plan? We need to get out of here now," I said, trying not to focus on the crowd's growing murmurs from their place on the lip of the cliff.

A tremor shook the ground beneath us, followed by another. The giant was coming, seeking his next victims.

"I'll distract it, just work on the fence and get yourself out," Leon said, peering around the corner of the shed as the ground continued to shake.

"No, that's a stupid plan!" I countered, yanking my pistol from it's holster and tearing the shotgun from my back and shoving it in his hands, "I'm not leaving."

There's no way he seriously thinks I'm gonna cut and run.

He pumped the shotgun, adjusting his grip to the weight, "Mykie—"

The shack we were using for cover exploded, sending splinters of wood spraying out in every direction. Bits of wood collided with my chest as I scrambled back.

The giant had used his huge foot to stomp right through the shed, leaving just a mess of broken wood and straw behind. My back hit the logs of the fence as the beast readjusted, leveling a stare filled with cold rage at me.

Well, looks like I'm the distraction now.

I took off, skirting along the closest wall and yelling at the top of my lungs. "Distraction coming through!"

I barely heard Leon bellow my name over the giant's thunderous footsteps as he took chase.

With my pistol still in hand, I glanced over my shoulder and fired a few blind shots into the giant's face. He didn't even blink.

The cheers overhead were beginning to die out, consumed by the giants growls and snarls of protest as I stayed just out of reach.

I couldn't do this forever, soon my legs would tire and my lungs will burn and force me to stop. We need to do something, or find a way out.

I followed the perimeter of the fence around again, firing a few shots into the giant's head at every opportunity.

After another course around the fence, his face and chest were dotted with dark red bullet holes, each one with its own trail of blood that swept down his body, making him look like something born in hell itself.

Leon was moving in tune with us, bullets hitting the giant that didn't seem to care about anything besides catching me.

I wiped away the stray droplets of water clinging to my eyelashes, and looked up toward the rock ledge.

The spectators were yelling, probably words of encouragement to the giant beast, daring him to swallow us whole. There's no way my grapple gun could hook on to anything up the ridge, but if this goes on for much longer I'll be forced to try.

While looking up, my foot snagged on a thick pile of mud, staggering my step and forcing me to slow a fraction. The vibrations from the giant's steps told me he was right behind me, delighted by a misstep that may bring me right into his grasp.

If he got his hands on me I'd be dead in less than a second. He'd relish in crushing me in his gray fist.

I dislodged my foot and spared half glanced back. The beast's open fist was flying through the air, ready to scoop close around me.

I ducked and sprung forward, mud splattering on my pants while the air from his swing whooshed past me.

The sound of Leon's shotgun rang out from somewhere on the giant's other side as I climbed to my feet, hands now covered in thick sludge.