Chapter 8: The whole cheese platter

We began making our way through the only path ahead which happened to be the tunnel the horde of villagers had just come through.

I walked behind my companions, following the small set of rails in the center of the tunnel trying to wrap my mind around Luis Sera.

On my side? Was that the truth?

And what he said about Leon and Ashley-- he sounded confident. He said he's seen what this plaga does. Probably because he had a hand in making it. Fuck I should have went after him.

"Damn."

Leon's voice made me look up from the tracks as he pulled at a large set of locked doors equip with an exceptionally large keyhole.

I surveyed the space I hadn't been paying attention to on our walk here. The tracks had led us through some kind of old mining space. The shafts were sealed shut with rubble and scraps of wood. Wooden scaffolding littered the area, creating walkways that overlooked the yard and looked like some kind of maze or playground. OSHA would have a field day with this place.

I glanced up at the rocky face the door was set in. It was high but not impossible.

"I might be able to grapple over if there's something to hook onto," If we were lucky there's be another cross bar I could simple move out of the way, "Maybe I can unlock it from the other side or find some rope to-"

My voice was drowned out by the growl of a chainsaw ripping to life. I turned back, where a female villager was holding what had to be one of the biggest chainsaws I've ever seen. Her face was mostly concealed by the stained bandages wrapping her face like a mummy, but her red irises were visible and trained on us.

This is my job.

I signed up for this.

A few more villagers came through the tunnel behind her, unfettered rage on their faces as they encircled the raging female.

"Es hora de rezar," She growled, her voice sounding like she'd swallowed glass. (It's time to pray)

Okay, let's stay calm. A few stray villagers and a chainsaw wielding broad. We can do this.

Another chainsaw roared to life, and a plumper woman with her face wrapped similarly to the first tore through the crowd. This one had a large bronze key tied around her neck that, given my luck, is almost certainly the one we needed to open this door.

I looked to Leon, a frown on my face, "Really?"

A battle cry erupted from the plump chainsaw wielder as she charged forward, hoisting the weapon over her shoulder.

"Ashley, stay by Leon," I yelled, taking a step forward and readying my shotgun.

Leon began firing at the crowd, a few of the shots meeting their mark, sending villagers to the ground.

When the woman was close enough, I fired a blast into her bound head, making her jolt back with the impact. She recovered quickly, like the slug to the face was only a minor inconvenienced in her pursuit of my cold corpse. She hoisted the chainsaw into the air again and snarled, the bandages shifting with the motion.

Okay, this might not be so easy.

I leapt out of her path as she threw a wild swing toward me with surprising speed. The stained blade continued as she threw it around, making me concede step after step. The distance between us was quickly diminishing, and with it my options.

I dove around her as she too a particularly wild swing that staggered her, giving me a small window to move. The smell of gasoline and dried blood flared as I recovered and fired again, the shot sending off sparks of light from where the bullet pinged against the metal.