Chapter 27: The home stretch

Leon's communicator chimed and he ripped it out of his pocket, rejecting the call.

That bastard is calling to toy with us.

I stalked toward the wooden gate at the other side of the clearing, a scowl on my face and hatred fueling every step.

Leon's communicator chimed again, ringing until he rejected the call. The sound made my teeth grind together. I want to throw that communicator off the fucking cliff.

The trail ahead sloped down into another ancient tunnel and my feet trudged through the sandy floor as we descended. Fingernails bit into my palms as I clenched my fists, trying to fight the urge to punch the fucking wall.

The tunnel led into an ancient room, with sand mounting up in the corners and hieroglyphics sprawled across the walls. I guided us through to the next room that was mostly bare apart from a small raised stone pedestal.

Leon let out a deep cough behind me, drawing my attention back. He leaned over, hands on his knees as he continued his coughing fit.

"Shit, are you okay?" I said, concern wiping the scowl from my face. I moved to his side and put a hand on his back. The muscles of his back spasmed against my palm, like he was having some kind of seizure.

Leon swatted my hand away from his back and took a hunched step away as a retch quaked through his body like he was going to puke his guts out.

"Fuck!" I bleated, reaching for his shoulder.

Before I could make contact with his skin he let out a deep groan, and slowly rose to his full height still facing away from me. I retracted my hand as a moment of silence passed while he just stood there, barely moving.

"What was tha-'' I trailed off as Leon turned toward me with a blank expression on his face, his eyes narrowing as his gaze met mine. A breath caught in my throat, it was him but...it wasn't him.

"Are you-" I was cut off as he lunged forward without warning, wrapping his hands around my throat and pushing me up against the closest wall.

My back collided with the stone as I pried at his fingers in a desperate play for air. The air in my throat dwindled with every passing second, the pressure in my lungs growing stronger.

"L...Leon," I managed to get out. His face didn't seem to show any recognition. Just like Ashley, he seemed like a shell. I could see the spindles of red spreading across his blue irises.

"St- op," I pleaded, the air in my throat waning to nothing. I scrambled for the small swiss army knife on my utility belt and flicked it open with trembling fingers.

Sorry Leon.

I plunged the small knife into his outer thigh, forcing him to jolt forward enough for me to raise a knee into his chest.

His grip released and I took a desperate gulp of air. My hand went to my throat as I backed away from his hunched form.

Fuck, I can't. I- I'll have to run.

"I'm sorry," He rasped out, making my shoulders slacken with relief.

"Holy fuck," I stammered, rubbing at my still aching neck.

Leon stood back up, fishing the pill bottle from his pocket before dropping three red pills into his palm. He downed them quickly, and let out a rough breath of air.

He turned back toward me, his eyes back to their icy shade of blue. "Mykie, I'm so sorry." He took a hesitant step forward, like he expected me to shy away from him. I didn't.

"It's not your fault," I said, dropping my hand back to my side. "Sorry, I stabbed you in the leg," I said, gesturing to the small puncture on his thigh. I didn't stab particularly deep, and avoided anything that would actually hinder him.