Chapter 30: Fool me once

The flames began to burn out, leaving Saddler's once sticky flesh in a layer of black char. His legs stayed up, making me want to curse the world for letting him keep going– but he took a weak step toward us.

Every step was a battle. The central eye dragged against the metal as he still tried to push toward us, unwilling to give up and accept his defeat.

We held our ground, watching him slow to a crawl before his legs faltered out around him. The eye was deflating, shrinking back down until it began to let off steam.

The mess of limbs around him began to bubble away like Salazar before him. Leon stepped forward, his eyes fixed on Saddler's central eye as it dissolved, making sure the last thing he saw was him.

Leon was no one's puppet.

His body began to fade, the bubbles raced through each limb before devouring his eye– leaving behind nothing but a pool of yellow sludge.

Leon knelt down, pushing aside the mess of thick purple robes to grab the vial beneath them. He laid it flat in his palm, looking at it for a long moment.

All of this for that small vial. That vial of pure liquid power– enough to take down any army in the world.

Ada pounced toward the platform, her dress settling around her as she rose to her feet. She pulled her weapon free, pressing it to the back of Leon's head before I could so much as take a step.

"Sorry, Leon. I'll be needing that." She purred.

"You bitch," I snarled, dragging her attention to me as Leon raised his hands slightly. "I should have known you don't have a selfless bone in your body."

"It's just business," She smiled, sending a hot pulse of anger through me.

"Hand it over," Ada said, looking back to Leon and pressing the muzzle of her gun into his head.

"You do know what this is, right?" Leon asked, not moving to look at her.

"Of course I do. That's why I'm here."

Leon slowly raised the vial, moving it toward her. She grabbed it with her free hand before stowing it in the small holster at her side. "Don't worry, I'll take good care of this."

I wanted to rip her apart, but taking a single step forward could earn Leon a bullet to the brain.

Ada produced a small set of keys from god knows where and tossed them to the ground by Leon, making the teddy bear keychain sink into the sludge. "You better get a move on, this island won't be here much longer."

Be here much longer? She doesn't mean...

The knowing smile on her face told me she's rigged something to blow, covering up any evidence of her involvement and destroying any sample of the virus her competitors may want.

"It's been fun catching up, let's do it again sometime." She took a step away, glancing at the small watch on her arm before looking at me. "Mykie, a pleasure as always."

I'm gonna kill her.

She suddenly spun around and took off toward the far side of the platform, her dress flaring out behind her. The familiar sound of a helicopter was fast approaching as she moved.

No, she's not getting away like this. She got away with the virus on that boat, so I can't let her have this one too. That vial could bring the world to its knees. She's not winning again.

"Leon, get Ashley to the boat." I said in a low tone.

"Don't yo-"

I took off, curving out of Leon's reach as I stormed after Ada. Leon yelled my name, but I could barely hear it over the whoosh of air and the pounding of my own heart.