8 - Goodbyes

The day went smoothly until the end of school. You knew things wouldn't go well; yesterday, the guy who'd been throwing paper balls at you was also punished with detention for the next day. That meant that Megumi was stuck with him for an hour.

You walked with Megumi to the class which he'd sit detention in and told him you'd wait.

"You don't have to wait for me," He said, "It's going to be an hour."

"Less than an hour if you can annoy the teacher enough to leave you alone," You suggested.

"Since when were you a trouble-maker?"

"Hey, I didn't say I would do it, I said you should do it."

He smiled. "Good idea."

His smile dropped when he saw the same guy from yesterday. You tugged at his sleeve to get his attention and made him face you.

"I was kidding. Don't pick a fight with him, ok?"

"But I don't want to leave you waiting. It's my last day, what can the teacher do about it?"

You sighed. "Just don't do anything dumb."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm not stupid. See you later."

He walked into the classroom with the guy, who immediately started annoying him. You sat down on a bench, reading a story on your phone.

–––––

It wasn't even half an hour later when you heard the teacher yelling, "Detention's over! Just get out already, both of you!"

You looked up from your phone to see the two boys come out of the classroom. You couldn't read Megumi's facial expression; his face was blank, staring at the ground.

At least he doesn't look angry.

The boy laughed at him. "Well, that was easy to get out of detention early, wasn't it?"

Without warning, Megumi snapped.

He lunged at the boy, throwing a punch at him which landed right on his nose, causing an instant nosebleed. The guy landed on the floor but quickly scrambled to his feet. Megumi was quick to land another punch to his face, though. The guy's nose was surely broken by now.

Megumi kicked him in the balls, next. He doubled over in pain. He threw another punch at his head.

You came to your senses, watching the fight unfold and yelled, "Megumi, stop!"

Megumi hesitated when he heard you. He looked over to you.

The boy took his chance and landed a punch on his jaw. Megumi stumbled, but stayed on his feet and continued to beat him up.

You ran forward and tried to pull Megumi back.

"Megumi, please don't fight!"

"You're sounding a lot like Tsumiki, right now!"

"It's not worth fighting him–"

"You don't know the shit he said about you!" He yelled back at you.

"It doesn't matter! Don't you remember your promise to Tsumiki!?"

"He called you a–"

"I don't care what he called me, ok!? It doesn't matter to me!"

"It doesn't matter to you because you didn't hear–"

"But you promised Tsumiki you wouldn't fight last time you saw her!"

"Well I'll have to break her promise!"