6

Elena watched Charles Francis talking with grandmama, who kept telling him he smelled like a rich white man. Charles just laughed it off seated comfortably in the chair beside hers while grandpapa gave him the stink eye.

"He is white, Nana," grandpapa kept stating. Elena could see the loathing of her grandfather against Charles.

When she got home with him last night, he had immediately run into the house and came back with a gun, aiming it Charles who had froze in his tracks as grandpapa yelled loudly that no white man would walk and steal his land while he was alive.

Elena had had to assure the old man that Charles was with her and he had reluctantly allowed the two into the house, making sure to keep his gun by his side at all times while his eyes followed Charles everywhere.

"What is he doing here?" Grandpapa  continuously asked Elena.

"I don't know," Elena had truthfully replied. She had brought a complete stranger to her home and she had no idea why. What if he made her regret it? "He's just somebody I know."

"Take him back," grandpapa ordered.

Elena just laughed as she served their supper, making sure that grandmama held her spoon properly before they all ate.

Charles went through his food like he was breathing them in.  He asked for seconds and grandpapa clicked his tongue in annoyance, making him shrink a little.

Elena served Charles who gratefully looked at her. He silently ate, looking everywhere but at Elena's grandfather.

When they were all done and Elena had cleaned, a knock came on the door and she rushed to it with a smile, embracing whoever was standing outside.

Then she let them in.

The older man and woman stopped and stared at Charles in confusion, waiting for Elena to explain.

"Charles Francis," she said.

"The Charles Francis?!" her mother asked in shock. "But he's white!"

"Really ma? I didn't notice."

Elena's father laughed then became serious. "Really, Elena. You're inviting strangers into our home and white men at that. He could be working with those people trying to steal our land for all we know."

"I assure you, sir," Charles quickly said. "I am not."

The burly man turned to him. "So what do you do for a living, Charles Francis?"

"I am into shipping, sir." Charles didn't even know why he was addressing the man like someone superior but in the moment, it seemed like the right thing to do.

"What are you doing here, Charles?" Elena's mother asked wearily.

"I'm...I am trying to get to know Elena better in a place where she will be comfortable," he said in an asking tone.

"She's black, Charles. You're white. That should have been clear that you should have left her alone when you saw her. Now, the city bus leaves tomorrow and you will be on it fits thing tomorrow morning. We do not want any trouble because truth be told, if you're really Charles Francis, you are a very rich man and your people are going to be looking for you. We don't want them to find you here, in our only home."

Charles simply nodded. He was not expecting to be welcomed with open arms in the home but what he was receiving was colder than the winter.  "Yes, ma'am," he said.

"Elena, you will be sleeping with your ma," Elena's father said. Mr. Charles Francis can take your room and I shall be in the room with him on the mattress-"