16

Elena sat in the backseat of the Buick, her head lying in Beatrice's lap as the young woman gently massaged her head.  Charles looked into the rearview and his eyes caught Beatrice's, making him think back to earlier.

"She needs to be comfortable," Beatrice had insisted. "You'll be driving. You can't always keep your eye on her!"

"How do I know that I can trust you?!" Charles hissed.

"For one, it has been me that has been taking care of your precious Elena in your home!"

Charles had to give that one to her.

After Elena had been taken care of by the doctor, Charles didn't know what to do because she was not in any condition to travel. He had been surprised when Beatrice came over with a few clothes of hers, some for her and some for Elena who filled the dresses out. Beatrice had been of great help, being there to care for Elena while Charles was at work and even when he came back, tired as a dog, he got home to a warm bath and a great home made meal.

It looked like she was trying to get back in his good books and she was slowly succeeding because Charles was grateful but he made it clear that he was not taking her back, even with all that she was doing.

She had simply nodded and then resumed with her work like the conversation had not even happened.

"Secondly," Beatrice added. "I have not told anyone about you and Elena even though I have half the mind to."

He had agreed for Beatrice to travel with them to take Elena back home.

"Why are you doing all this?" he asked as the car drove over the Vaal City bridge.

"No matter what I did to you, I'm still the same old Beatrice. I still like helping people." She said this looking at the sleeping Elena.

"So you're still not going to tell me who the father of the baby is?"

Beatrice shook her head. "Definitely not you. I'm sure."

Charles swallowed. "I am choosing to trust you to keep Elena and her home and family a secret. Please do not betray us in any way."

"Charles, you can trust me." Beatrice meant it.

Charles pulled his car into Elena's family farm, finding grandpapa and grandmama sitting on the porch, the old man with his trusted gun by his side.

He got out of the car while Beatrice woke Elena and helped her out of the car towards her grandparents.

Grandpapa had his gun already pointed at them. "What did you do to my baby girl?!" he yelled.

Charles cringed. He had called the day Elena was shot and her parents had answered the phone then. They probably hadn't told the grandparents.

"I am fine," Elena said, her arm around Beatrice's neck as the young woman supported her. Charles came behind them with a couple of things he had bought her and the family.

Beatrice helped Elena into a chair before going to greet Elena's grandparents.

"You's with child, huh?" grandmama exclaimed as her hand accidentally rubbed against Beatrice. "Congratulations! Definitely a boy."

Beatrice laughed. "That's what Elena said."

"He's kicking up a storm in here," grandmama said, feeling the glowing Beatrice's protruding belly. "Very healthy baby."

Beatrice blushed and Charles smiled at the grinning Elena when he came back from putting her stuff in the house. He pulled her close.

"Off her," grandpapa warned him.