13

This day could possibly not get any worse! Charles thought as he sat in the police Chief's office, watching as the burly man drank deeply from his coffee flask before looking at him and wiping his thick mustache.

"How long is this going to take?" Charles asked.

"They should be bringing him in any time now," the Chief said. "In the meantime, why don't you clear up something for me."

Charles raised his brow questioningly.

"Rumors have it that you are pursuing some negro woman in Vaal City. I cant even begin to imagine why someone as...wealthy as you would go digging for a wife in a trash dump, especially a negro woman at that."

Charles tapped his fingers on the table. He only did that when he was annoyed. "Why don't you and those people spreading the rumors mind your own business, Chief?"

The Chief's mustache quivered with fury. "One day...one day you will eat your words, Charlie boy. You may be wealthy but oh, how the mighty have fallen."

"Chief, let's talk about what I came here for, alright? What did you arrest him for?"

The Chief chuckled. "It wasn't us that arrested him. He was transferred from the Vaal station."

Dammit.

"What did he do?"

"He was found lying with a negro woman in the woods in broad daylight."

Charles was shocked! Never in his life did he think...surely this was a nightmare, right?

The door swung open and a police man came through, dragging behind him a very sour ginger haired man.

"What are you doing here?"

"Osam, I came to get you out. Someone was courteous enough to call me on your behalf." Charles stood up and placed an envelope on the Chief's desk. "For your troubles, sir."

The Chief grinned as Charles and Osam made their way out of the station.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Charles grabbed Osam by the collar of his shirt and shoved him against the side of his car, breathing heavily. "What the hell were you thinking?!" he hissed at the man. "The only reason you were out there was to find information that would incriminate Thomas, not go around fucking women in the woods! You're a married man, just in case you forgot!"

Osam glared at him angrily. "I found your stupid information and before I left, I just wanted to know what it felt like. It wasn't as good as you said it would be!"

Charles let go of him, laughing. "First of all, y'all were in the woods. Secondly, it is way better when you actually have feelings for the person."

"Man...I regret doing it. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out. I wish I never tried to find out what this magic you were talking about is. Come on. Let's get to the office before I go home. I have a lot to tell you."

When they got to the office, Osam lay everything he had found out bare. Charles just listened in shock and looked at the evidence Osam presented.

If this information got out, it would destroy Tommy! In as much as Thomas was an ass, the information Osam brought back with him could literally put his life at risk or end his life.

"Is this all of it?" Charles asked the grinning Osam, who was very proud of himself.

Osam nodded. "Everything you asked for and more."

Charles put all the incriminating papers in his briefcase and looked at Osam. "Tell no one about this."

"What are you going to do with the information?"

"Burn it."

Osam blanched. "But I thought you wanted to crush Tommy."

"Not like this," Charles said. This was just too much trouble to invite into his life. "There has to be something...less. Mom and Dad would die if they heard about this. Look, I'll compensate you for your trouble but this...this is just too much."

"Charles..."Osam sighed. "You're either using that information or I am going to use it. Your brother tortured me for years and ruined my reputation by telling everyone lies about me. Do you know how hard it was for me to pick up the pieces and try to make something of myself after that?! Your choice. I use the information or you do. I made copies."

Charles looked at him. "Osam, let our friendship come first before your anger towards Tommy. I don't even like him and I'm his brother. I get that you want revenge but please, don't do this."

"There's no point in trying to play on my conscience, Charlie. Tommy made his bed. Now he must lie in it."

Charles did not want to do this but he had no choice because Osam seemed dead set on ruining Tommy. "If you use the information, I shall do the same to you too, Osam."

"What do you have against me?" Osam challenged him. "Minus the negro woman debacle of course."

Charles had absolutely nothing. But Osam did not know that. He smirked. "Wouldn't you like to know? We all have skeletons in the closet and yours...hmm."

Osam was unfazed. "If this is what our friendship comes to...I pity Elena."

Charles lost his resolve and grabbed Osam. "Don't you dare!"

"I can already imagine the headlines," Osam sneered. "They will hurt her, hurt her family, boycott your business and the fun part...you know what the fun part is? I have proof to back my claims. You have none."

"If you hurt Elena in any way, Osam, I will end you! I swear! I swear I will use everything in my power to crush you!"

"Then use the information against Tommy. You may be my best friend in this whole world and I am sorry for doing this but there is no one I loath more than Tommy. And I want my cake and will eat it," Osam spat venomously.

Charles had never seen this side of him. The side that was intent on getting revenge for the wrong that had been done to him. How had he missed this side through all these years of their friendship? Charles himself was a vengeful person but he could never ever do what Osam wanted him to do, even if Tommy wasn't his brother.

"By the way," Osam said as he made Charles let go. "Tommy has a dog following Elena around. She's been sleeping at the hospital lately and it would be quite easy for him to get to her if he wanted to. He's been digging for information on her and your girl...she has skeletons in her closet. Skeletons she hid herself."

"What are you talking about?"

"I am talking about the fact that Elena actually does know your brother, Thomas Francis."

Charles glared at Osam. "What are you on about?"

"She has been manipulating and lying to you. She was set to be married to Tommy a couple of years ago."