Chapter 11

Kisame cussed, angry at himself for missing the telltale signs that the village was a trap. First of all, the gates were wide open with no gate guards. It was a shinobi village, for heaven's sake! Any ninja village would place gate guards, usually chunin of rank. Second of all, there was nobody to be seen. This was true only for Kiri, but for the other villages, such as Konoha, the entrance led into bustling streets pouring with people. And because he missed these obvious signs, he and his team had to battle foreign shinobi.

Kisame closed his eyes, attempting to focus his chakra into his ears. Enhancing his already powerful sensory capabilities and heightened senses, Kisame's ears picked up the rough power levels of the enemy shinobi, and barked out orders in response. 'I'll take the two taller ones. You guys take the other three in a separate area! Be careful; they've had time to lay traps!'

Immediately, katana in hand, Kisame blocked a staff strike by the first of his targets, swinging his foot around to try and sweep the legs of his second enemy. His eyes saw his team darting off to confront the three other enemies. Seeing one of Kirigakure's top ANBU, Orca, following his genin, a look of confidence brandished itself on Kisame's face for a short moment.

The blank masked shinobi used this as a window of opportunity, launching a volley of attacks at the former wielder of Samehada.

'Earth Style: Earth Dragon!'

'Earth Style: Flying Stones!'

Sharp rocks flew across the battlefield, aimed at Kisame. The attack forced Kisame to Body Flicker away from the stones, right into the range of the first shinobi's attack.

'I've got you now!' The first shinobi said, as his huge rock dragon materialised out of his earth chakra as well as the soil and earth scattered all over the battlefield.

The dragon leapt, attempting to bite the swordsman with his teeth, but Kisame quickly twisted his wrist, his wind infused sword slicing the shards of rock forming the teeth into shreds. After all, Kisame knew four out of the five basic elements, and had mastered three of them: Water, Wind, and Earth.

'You've got to try harder than that.' Kisame taunted, his katana drawn in front of him. His laid back stance mocked the shinobi, enticing them into attacking Kisame in a full on taijutsu assault.

The two masked shinobi lunged, their hands already in hand seals. One of them had solidified their arm into rock, the other still weaving his seals. Suddenly, Kisame disappeared.

The enemy ninja cursed, as Kisame reappeared behind them, katana drawn. Kisame raised his blade, ready to decapitate his enemies, but his target's quick thinking saved them. Both ninja ducked under the katana strike, but Kisame rotated the sword into a straight-down slash.

'Earth Style: Dark Swamp!' The enemies quickly created mud using the ground below them, Kisame's slash barely grazing the first enemy's arm.

'Shoot. Mole, handle them.' The first enemy ordered, slowly recovering from his attack.

'Understood, Snake.' Mole replied, forming hand seals at a quick pace.

'This is getting boring.' Kisame stated, making it clear that he wasn't trying at all. 'Heart, spine, lungs, kidney, larynx, jugular vein, collarbone, and liver. Which point do I hit first?'

'Earth Style: Earthquake Slam.' Mole announced, his arms slammed onto the ground. Cracks began forming across the battlefield, towers of rock slowly emerging from the ground to impale Kisame as well as create a more favourable battlefield for the Earth Release using ninja.

'Lungs it is.' Kisame said, expelling huge amounts of fog into the clear battlefield, weakening the sight of his enemies. 'Hidden Mist Jutsu.'

'Earth Style: Iron Skin.' Mole said, encasing his body with earth chakra, nullifying Kisame's quick stab to the heart. The ANBU-level shinobi followed up with a chakra enhanced punch, Kisame quickly parrying with his sword.