Chapter 21

Mountains towering over their heads, Naruto and his fellow Kirigakure genin walked along the streets of Kumogakure, looking around the host village for this year's Chunin Exams.

Many terraces and balconies encircled the tip of most mountains, the only noteworthy exception being the big blue structure built into the tallest mountain. Cables were strung across the village, sending electricity to every building. 

Making their way to a large hotel for the Chunin Exam participants, Kirigakure's twelve genin participants and their four senseis mentally prepared themselves for the dangerous tests awaiting them.

'Hello, are you here for the Chunin Exams?' A dark-skinned woman at the reception for the hotel asked, taking a brief glance at their ninja headbands. 'Welcome to Kumogakure.'

🌊

Walking into an exam hall full of Genin, Naruto and his fellow swordsmen scanned the area for any potentially skilled genin. The Uzumaki's eyes locked onto his former classmates at the Konoha Academy, wanting to see how powerful they were. 'Haku, go scout out the other genin. Shikamaru and I are paying our old classmates a visit.'

'Got it, Naruto.' Haku replied, her gaze shifting throughout the crowds.

'What's up?' Naruto asked the Konoha shinobi that he had left behind, Shikamaru right behind him.

The Nara's hands were stuffed in his pockets, Shibuki attached to his back. His appearance was slightly different from when he deserted Konoha, switching out the grey jacket for a black jumpsuit. 'Hey, Choji.'

'So, the deadlast shows up out of nowhere during the Chunin Exams, working for another village?' Kiba taunted, Akamaru barking in agreement. 'I'm sure you're an even bigger loser working for Kirigakure than Konoha. They only let you have that useless sword because the Mizukage felt sorry for you.'

Taking out Samehada, Naruto bared his sharp teeth at Kiba, revealing sharper, more feral teeth than the regular ones he had before he left for Kirigakure. Working with the Nine-Tails and fusing with Samehada multiple times had definitely changed his appearance. He felt the icy glare of Sasuke Uchiha pinned on him, but ignored it, having endured much, much worse on his missions.

Meanwhile, seeing Choji move forward to give him a hug, Shikamaru embraced Choji back, having missed his best friend during his time away in Kiri. 'I missed you so much.'

'Me too!' Choji said, tears of joy in his eyes from seeing his long-time buddy after many months. 'You can still come back, you know.'

'No thanks. That sounds troublesome.' Shikamaru rejected Choji's offer, preparing to return to where Haku and his group were gathering. 'I wish I could talk more, but I have to get going, so...'

'See you.' Choji responded, tears welling up in his eyelids.

'See you.' Shikamaru said, shaking hands with Choji. The short length of the conversation slightly upset Shikamaru, but now, here at the Chunin Exams, they were now competitors, and possibly even enemies. His eyelids slightly drooping, Shikamaru repeated his last two words. This could have been his final encounter with his best friend on good terms. 'See you.'

🌊

'Is that a challenge, mutt?' Naruto challenged Kiba, pointing Samehada at the dog boy. With one sniff, Akamaru determined that challenging Samehada would be a mistake. Hearing Akamaru's whimpers, Naruto retorted Kiba. 'At least your dog is intelligent enough to know that you won't make it out of a challenge against me alive.'

'Calm down.' A silver haired genin said, his glasses shining under the room's lights. 'You shouldn't fight so early on. My name is Kabuto Yakushi, an experienced genin. Plus, I can give you some information on the other competitors and offer some advice. After all, I am a seven-time taker of the Chunin Exams.'