Chapter 27

A battlecry from Temari echoed throughout the arena, the Sunagakure kunoichi sidestepping an incoming shadow from Shikamaru. The kunoichi swung her fan, the winds billowing out towards the Kirigakure shinobi.

Shikamaru groaned, before disappearing underground, his hands attempting to grab Temari and drag her into the dirt. Temari's senses told her of the incoming danger, Gaara's sister jumping up into the air to escape Shikamaru's clutches. 

The kunoichi swiftly returned a strike of her own, slamming the heavy metal battlefan onto the place where Shikamaru's hands were, metal meeting dirt.

His entire body above ground, Shikamaru slashed at her using Shibuki, explosions rippling across the surface of the special paper. Small sparks lit up all over the Blastsword, ready to be used as a a weapon.

Temari grabbed her battle fan, fashioning it as a shield against Shikamaru's sword. The two exchanged hits, until Shikamaru released a water bullet at his opponent. Immediately, the Sunagakure shinobi looked warily at the ground below her, seeing it as an attempt to ensnare her in the Nara's signature ninjutsu. Unfortunately, not one strand of shadow came at her, Temari slightly damaged from Shikamaru's Water Release jutsu.

Another swing of Temari's battle fan announced that another attack was coming. This time, Shikamaru created a wall of water, some of the droplets splashing onto his face from the powerful winds. The wielder of Shibuki once again formed the seal for Rat, extending his shadow to capture Temari.

Temari suspiciously eyed the shadow, leaping back two steps to avoid Shikamaru's technique. 'Wind Style: Great Breakthrough!'

A heavy burst of wind soared towards Shikamaru, the Nara retorting with a blast of flame. 'Fire Style: Flame Bomb!'

The jet of fire collided with the burst of wind, Shikamaru's counterattack overpowering Temari's initial offensive. Temari cussed loudly, summoning a weasel to help her extinguish the flame.

The rodent swiftly produced a scythe from a seal on his body, rocketing towards Shikamaru while using his melee weapon to dull the effect of the flame. The weasel swiftly bared the metal blade, nearly delivering a dangerous blow to Shikamaru's chest, until the Nara sunk back into the ground, emerging behind the weasel.

In an attempt to stop her summon from being attacked, Temari released a gust of wind, blowing her weasel even farther forwards and sending Shikamaru flying. A quick reverse-summoning sent Temari's summon back to its summoning domain, while Shikamaru was not as lucky. Sent hurling into the wall, Shikamaru grimaced at the pain that the hard wall inflicted on him.

Temari flapped her fan with more of her strength, pumping more chakra into her attacks and creating an even stronger air current at Shikamaru.

The Nara sped through a few hand seals in a blink of an eye, imbuing fire chakra into his fists. Using his forearm to shield his body from Temari's wind, Shikamaru blitzed towards his opponent, sparks flickering throughout Shibuki from Shikamaru's potent fire chakra shrouding it as well.

Temari grunted as Shikamaru's fists slammed into the brunt of her fan, the metal denting slightly from the strength of the attack.

Shikamaru panted at the failure of his incomplete attack, disappearing underground before Temari could counterattack. Reappearing at the edge of the arena, the tactician launched a blast of fire at Temari, the Sunagakure shinobi jumping away to safety.

Temari's prideful face turned to one of helplessness as her body was rendered unable to move, Shikamaru's shadow connected to her legs through the holes that he had created from using the Hidden Mole technique.

'I forfeit.' Shikamaru announced, much of the audience gasping and Kisame clenching a fist at his decision. 'I'm not going to have enough chakra for the next match, even if I win this one.'