Chapter 31

Naruto drew more kanji on his scroll, practicing the basic strokes of the new seal he was learning. Having already completed two of the barest basics, the storage seal and explosive seal, Naruto was now learning slightly more complex ones. Only one month had passed since the Chunin Exams, during which all of the New Swordsmen procured a promotion from Mei, but Naruto was still a long way from being a fuinjutsu master.

Naruto sighed, thinking back to his training plan. He still needed to learn more seals, refine his already present skills, and develop his kenjutsu and chakra control before he could resume working on ninjutsu. The Uzumaki had quite the repertoire for a recently promoted chunin, even for one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist as well as host of the Nine-Tails.

Samehada's wielder brushed up on the final strokes of his current project, infusing a slight bit of his chakra into the seal and testing to see if it worked. Much to his disappointment, nothing happened, the boy taking a new scroll and trying again.

As the seconds ticked past, boredom slowly trickled into Naruto's mind drop after drop, frustration growing like a watered seed buried in fertile soil under the sun. Unable to take the exasperation anymore, Naruto let out a roar of anger, stressed at his failure to perform the seal properly after many tries.

As if the event had been planned out by an all powerful being, Kisame stepped into the room just as Naruto had finished venting his rage, hearing Naruto's cry of frustration at the difficulty of the seal. 

Even though Naruto was an Uzumaki, talent was incapable of successfully performing everything, and most things also required hard work and trial and error.

'Kid, Mizukage-sama wants to see you. Besides, whatever she has planned will probably relieve your stress, because you seriously need to take a break.' Kisame informed his student, grinning like he usually did.

'Alright.' Naruto responded, gritting his teeth intensely in an attempt to contain himself from entering an outburst.

The two entered into the Mizukage's Office, where a handful of the other Swordsmen from both generations were waiting. Naruto and his master took their places, standing as they awaited the arrival of the last two groups of swordsmen.

As Suigetsu and Shikamaru filed into the room, Mei began delivering the news of the group's next move, informing them about their destination. 'I have decided to send you seven on a training trip, as well as functioning as my bodyguards. This will give you experience in guarding the Mizukage, whoever it may be, and this trip will also be giving you a chance to improve your skills.'

Glances were traded and unsaid messages were shared throughout the room as each member processed Mei's revelation.

'We are going to the Land of Iron, where I will be engaging in diplomatic talk with their leader, and you will have a chance to witness excellent kenjutsu in action. The residents of the Land of Iron are samurai, where they only use the blade, so most samurai are highly skilled in the usage of a sword.' Mei continued. 'You will be given a chance to spar with them, and learn their trade, so that you will advance your kenjutsu skills and better fight with your sword.'

A period of extended silence spread throughout the room, and seeing that nobody was responding, Mei resumed speaking.

'Very well. We will be heading out in five days, so pack your bags and prepare yourself. After this trip, Kirigakure will emerge stronger than ever before.'

🌊

Mei finished inscribing a few characters onto a scroll, tying the scroll to the legs of a carrier pidgeon. She quickly released it, allowing the bird to flap its wings and soar towards its destination - Kirigakure's agent in Konoha.