CHAPTER 18

I walked into the restaurant and as I expected from the text Giovanni had sent to me, I figured it was one of those fancy places. Thank goodness I ended up choosing the thin strapped above the knee backless bodycon, instead of the jeans and basic white t-shirt. Lord knows there nothing worse than being under dressed. Oh no, there is something worse--missing Fiona's calls--and that's what happened a few minutes ago. I didn't even hear it ring, but she would not even give a crap about my explanations, she’ll just want my head on a silver platter. I'll just deal with her after my lunch.

"Table for one?" The clerk at the front desk, quickly came to my side, with her hands hanging in front of her.

I quickly shook my head, scanning the open floor plan, trying to spot Giovanni, and when the clerk called out to me again, I spotted him sitting by himself at a table by the window. "I found him," I informed the clerk, giving her a smile before breezing between the occupied tables and slipped into my seat, smiling at Giovanni.

"I was just about to leave. Thought I might have been stood up,” he sulked.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed his half-filled wine glass, downing the remainder of its content. "I am only twenty minutes late, don’t be impatient."

"Twenty minutes is a long time Azania,” he stated, with a chuckle.

I shrugged, then called for a waiter to come take our orders, and like the typical Italian, he ordered pasta. How predictable can on person be? The waiter left after taking our orders, then Giovanni gave me him ate room once more. "How have you been since I last saw you?"

"The last two days haven't been eventful. I just stayed in my food truck, getting all my orders done, thereafter I ran around town. My brother is mad at me because I missed a game of his, apparently it was important and he said something about there being talent scouts present at the game, and he might've played poorly because his focus was on the entrance, waiting for me to come bursting through the doors. But he'll be alright," I ranted.

"You don't sound bothered about him being mad at you,” he said that in a way that made it sound like a question, but because I wasn’t sure which was which, I answered.

"He is just upset, but I know he'll come around, because he knows that I have to hustle for them." Our drinks came and I thanked the waiter.

When I turned back to Giovanni, he was just staring at me, and it slightly made me feel weird. "What are you looking at?"

"An amazing woman.  You are just special and extremely peculiar. I love it,” his smile grew into a grin, as his wild curls brushed onto his forehead. I smiled, remembering how good it felt to have his locks between my fingers. I involuntarily bit my lower lips as the images from my time with Giovanni became vivid, and his groans sounding in my ears made me squeeze my legs together. What the hell was happening? He was still looking at me, the grin still on his face. "So this guy you have a complicated relationship with, do you love him?"

"That's a rather personal question, don’t you think?" I breathed, and thanked God when the food came. Good! I could focus on something else.

He shrugged, "So...do you?'

"Nope," I answered.

My answer seemed to excite him because his grin grew.  Oh no buddy. "But I have to be with him. That's the complicated part."

....
Giovanni had his hand on the small of my back as we walked out of the restaurant and he ushered me to my car.

"Sweet ride,” he complimented once I opened the driver's side. I turned to stare at him. "Thank you. It was a gift."