Chapter 16

The last four days had been a absolute nightmare for Ximena. Being couped up in the house was very redundant and the tension among her family was very tangible, it could be cut with a knife. Her mother and father weren't really on speaking terms, she also wasn't speaking much to her father and her brother Salvador.

But today of all days, everything was awkward. It was Sunday and her father had proposed that they have a brunch to discuss the contract and resolve some final matters. All, but her father, were seated in their garden waiting for the guests to arrive.

Ximena had chosen a simple outfit consisting of a plain white sundress and white flats. Her hairdo wasn't elaborate, just a simple high pony tail with a few loose curls that fell against her face that had minimal make up. Her other family members were dressed like they were going to a Vogue shoot.

She tucked a lose strand behind her ear as she looked down to her red iPhone to check the time. Her father had relented this morning and had given her her cellular device back since she'd been 'well behaved' as he put it. She rolled her eyes at the thought. He was treating her like a teenager, she was turning 23 soon for goodness' sake!

Their heads snapped up as they head foosteps and voices approaching where they were. The first to feature was Emilio in one of his designer suits, followed by Humberto who had a young Indian woman with her arms wrapped around his. Next was the obnoxious looking younger man he'd been with at the previous lunch and finally Adriano.

Saying he looked good would be an understatement. He was clothed in a close fitting white T-shirt that did little to hide his muscles, a pair of dark jeans and white sneakers. To top it all off, his hair was jelled back giving it a shiny quality.

When his electric green eyes met Ximena's, she could feel her heart almost leap out her chest. Even more so when he took a seat beside her. She gulped as she felt his presence beside him. She could smell his cologne and it was intoxicating.

Everyone began passing greetings around.

"Hi," she said shyly to Adriano, who inturn shot her one of his dazzling smiles.

"Hi," he said right back, his voice deep and husky. Shivers ran up and down her spine at the sound of it.

Shortly afterwards, the maids scurried over with huge platters in their hands that they placed on the long table one by one. The food before them seemed very appetising; an array of fruits, croissants, bacon, sausages, orange juice, coffee, toast and so much more like they had prepared to feed a small army.

Once everyone had filled their plates with what they had wanted to, Emilio spoke. "Okay, now let's get down to business." Ximena groaned internally at his words but remained silent as she bit into a sausage. "Let's discuss the date of the wedding. We agreed that we'd seal this within three months...which will be up in the next few weeks," he added as he took a sip of his juice.

"I personally think that you should at least give them a little while to at least know each other before you force them to settle down," Dolores interjected and Ximena smiled. At least her mother always had her back.

"That's not necessary. They have their whole lives to do that," Humberto butted in arrogantly. Both Ximena and Adriano rolled their eyes at this. "We said 3 months, and 3 months it will be. The sooner we do this, the sooner we can take over the whole shipping scene across the country," he said and Carlton, his assistant nodded.

Everyone went silent for some seconds before Ximena spoke. "So this is what this is? Just a way for you both to quench your insatiable greed. Unbelievable," she said but the last word was just a whisper.

"I think this whole thing is spectecular. Imagine, two of the most prominent families in the country merging to form one powerful conglomerate. Honestly, this is amazing," the unknown Indian woman said softly and gave Humberto's arm a squeeze.

"Nobody asked for your opinion, Samara. In fact, I don't even understand why you're even here anyway. You're not even family, neither are you Carlton," Adriano sneered at them both and crossed his arms.

Humberto pointed a finger at his son. "Show some respect, hijo. Samara has every right to be here, she's my girlfriend and Carlton is my secretary," he announced. Adriano shot him a spiteful glare but didn't say anything.

"I knew this was just going to turn out like the last time we met up. Why do you waste time doing this? I can't believe I even agreed to come to this," Salvador said out loud in disdain and received a disapproving look from his father.

They continued to eat after the short interaction but the atmosphere was dense with unspoken words. Emilio spoke again, disrupting the silence. "Well,  Ximena's birthday is in the weeks to come. We can announce their engagement then and the wedding will come shortly afterwards."

"Don't you think that'll seem a little weird? Engagement today, wedding tomorrow? It will seem suspicious," Ximena questioned.

"Who cares? Many people have done it before!" Humberto ejaculated with a chuckle but  only Samara and Carlton laughed along with him.

"Your wedding ceremony can be small and private. Not many people have to be there," Emilio suggested.

Samara hummed in response. "Or it could be big and fancy. I've always wanted to plan a wedding...mine hopefully but this is just as good. It could be the talk of the decade, century even," she said dreamily.

"I agree!" Andrea smiled happily.

"I can't do this! I just can't do this. I can't sit down and pretend to be one big happy family whilst we plan a wedding that is nothing but a damned business transaction! This is beyond ridiculous. It's like Adriano and I don't even have a say in this...the least you could do is ask us what we want but no, you couldn't care less. Honestly, you dad and Mr Dos Santos are insufferable. Forced marriages should be illegal," she ranted and her father tried to silence her.

"Don't you raise your voice-" he began but she cut him off.

"No. Don't even dare reprimand me dad. I've been trying to be understanding and patient...I can't do it. And you know what, you can plan everything by yourselves. I'm outta here!" she finished off angrily, stood up and stormed off ignoring everybody who was calling her to come back.

She walked around the house to the front and then stopped. All Ximena could see was red. Her chest heaved painfully and a lump formed at the back of her throat, threatening to choke her. Her eyes stinged with hot, unshed tears. Her hand extended to one of the pillars supporting the front canopy.

"That was quite the tantrum you threw back there."

Ximena didn't need to turn around to know who it was. "If you're here to chide me about it, then I'm about to give you an ear full as well..." she warned him when he stepped in front of her.

Adriano held his hands up in surrender. "I come in peace. Believe it or not, seeing you angry kinda scares me," he admitted and she giggled. They stood there looking at each other for some time before he spoke again. "Do you wanna get out of here for a while?"

Her heart beat stopped for a bit. "W-what?" she stuttered, and groaned internally for it. "I-I don't think that's a good idea. I'm kinda grounded so..." she trailed off, her face becoming warm in embrassment.

"Grounded? What are you, twelve?" he joked, but she didn't laugh. "Wait, you're actually serious?"he asked in disbelief.

Her lips thinned into a line. "Yeah. My dad is a very hard man. That's my 'punishment' for running away. You know what," she said with a wicked grin.  "I'll take you up on that offer. I already pissed him off so why not?"

He laughed once again and led her to his Bugatti. He opened the door for her and she got in without hesitation. They then sped off up the driveway and out the gates.

__________________

Hello my lovelies. How are you doing? How is the story going so far? Is it good? Any suggestions? If you have any suggestions please feel free to hit my inbox...
(Please excuse any typos.)
Keep reading, voting and commenting!

Adiòs,😽

~Deetronite.