Chapter 26

It took a few seconds for it to register in Ximena’s mind what exactly was going on.

Was he kissing her?

Almost immediately she shoved him away and then was out of the alcove quicker than lightning. Her heart was pounding just as fast as her legs were carrying her back into the grand hall. What had just happened? Had she imagined it all. Her lips were most definitely tingling from the feel of Adriano’s lips on them. Before she got to even ponder on it for a moment longer, someone wrapping their arms around her from behind.

“Birthday girl,” she whispered into her ear and Ximena turned around to see that it was Chelsea. All too excited, she threw her arms around her best friend, engulfing her in a bone crushing hug.

“It’s been too long since I’ve seen you. I thought you said you weren’t going to make it?” She said as she let her go.

Chelsea shot her a wide grin. “And miss my sister’s birthday party, no way! You look particularly stunning Mena. Gold is such a good color on you!”

Ximena blushed but she could only imagine just how red her face was not only from the compliments but from what had just occurred. “T-thanks. You look gorgeous too!” And she really did. Chelsea was clad in a sleeveless floor length bright red dress with slits on either side paired with red stilettos. Her hair was down in voluminous brown bouncy curls and her make up complimented her light brown skin tone.

“So,” Chelsea began, wrapping her arm around Ximena’s. She started to lead her further into the room, where most people were now seated and chatting moderately over the soft jazz tunes. “Where is your hunk? I’m yet to be introduced to this man sandwich and you know I’ve been literally dying to meet him for some time now. I wonder if he is as hot as he is in the magazines,” she gushed and Ximena gulped.

Ximena remained quiet for some seconds as they approached their designated table. Everybody was now seated, including Adriano’s two friends. As soon as they came into sight, Santiago’s eyes instantly landed on Chelsea. Their eyes locked and he stood from his chair and made his way over to them.

Chelsea’s eyebrows furrowed. “Have we met?” she asked as his face seemed quite familiar.

“I don’t believe we have, well no formally at least,” he said smoothly, flashing her a charming smile. “I’m Santiago Fuentemayor, Adriano’s- “

“Bane of existence…otherwise known as the thorn in my side,” Adriano’s voice erupted from behind them. He came into view and stood beside Santiago. He looked calm but he kept on stealing glances at Ximena, who made too apparent that she was avoiding eye contact.
Santiago tsked and slapped his best friend’s back lightly. “Without me, you’d be lonely and bored. Just face it Adri, you love having me around.” Adriano rolled his eyes but smiled nonetheless.

“Now, now. You can’t have the fun all by yourselves.” Omar joked, as he too came to stand at Adriano’s side. His eyes were solely trained on Chelsea, her body to be more specific, and Santiago noticed this which made him feel very pissed.

Chelsea extended her hand to each of them as she introduced herself. “I’m Chelsea Wallace. Nice to meet you all, particularly Adriano,” she smiled at them all. Santiago audaciously grabbed her hand and began to lead her to the table.

“There’s an empty chair right by me,” he said confidently, causing Chelsea to giggle. Omar rolled his eyes at this and then went back to his seat, clearly disappointed. Chelsea began to greet everyone at the table and introducing herself to the others. Santiago couldn’t keep his eyes off her. This time he was determined to make a good lasting impression and nobody would get in the way of that.