Chapter 22

Adriano was distracted to say the least. It was Wednesday and he hadn't been able to think clearly because of one particular person. Granted, it wasn't her fault that she had invaded his mind but he was furious if anything. He had never felt this way about anyone...a total stranger to whom he was supposed to wed with yet when he was around her it was like they'd known each other for years.

They'd only known each other for a couple of weeks and interacted a few times. Now they'd been texting each other goodnight for the past three days. It was silly how those two words late night made him sleep better.

The meeting he'd had at 10 am had been nothing but another debriefing on how the company needed to upgrade the warehouses they had in Argentina as well as renewal of order fulfillment for other companies that had sought their services a few years back. Most of the participants in the meeting must've noticed that he was barely following what they saying so they at least had the curtesy of cutting it short. He needed to get to the bottom of things anyways.

When he got back to his office, he found Santiago seated at his desk with his legs propped up. Adriano sighed out loud and then shut the door behind him.

"What the hell are you doing in my office-," he looked at his Bulgari watch, "at almost twelve in the afternoon? Why does my secretary keep on letting you in?" he asked, irritated.

Santiago smirked. "Obviously she cannot resist my potent charm. Also, why can't I just stop by and say hi to my numero uno amigo? You're such a grouch," he commented mockingly.

Adriano signaled for him to get out of his seat, to which he complied. Santiago was the same age as Adriano, about the same height as well. They'd known each other since they were ten years old and even went to the same university. Santiago, however, dropped out before he completed his degree in law because he realized that wasn't what he wanted and then began to lead a wild life, which his parents reluctantly sponsored. That is, until they threatened to cut him off unless he found something meaningful to do with his life. Hence the reason why he recently opened up a night club.

"Don't you have a business to run?" Adriano pointed out, taking his seat and beginning to skim through the files he'd brought in from the meeting. He had a very hectic day ahead of him seeing all the calls, emails and paperwork he would need to do.

Santiago shrugged. "It's a night club for a reason so I only have to go there at night. That was a piece of genius if you ask me. Could learn a thing or two Adri," he sang and then took a seat on one of the chairs in front of Adriano's desk.

"Not all of us are slackers."

"Ouch," Santiago touched his chest in feigned hurt. "That would've hurt if I was indeed not slacker," he joked, his gray eyes dancing with delight. Unlike Adriano, Santiago was part Latino on his dad's side and part Caucasian on his mom's side. He'd grown up in America.

Adriano paid him no attention. "Get out of my building if you've only come here to joke around. I've got a lot of work that needs my undivided attention."

"So, have been up to anything interesting lately?" he asked, his voice with an underlying tinge of sarcasm. Adriano's eyes momentarily left his papers and he tilted his head.

"Just what are you getting at?"

Santiago shrugged. "Perhaps what I heard was all a lie. Should have guessed, you're way too boring to do something like that anyway," he remarked, sounding bored.

Adriano's jaw clenched. "What did you hear?" There was nothing he hated more than rumors, especially if they were about him. Heaven knew there had been too many of them over the years.

Santiago took his cellular device out of his pocket, unlocked it and then gave it to Adriano. His eyes narrowed to slits when he saw the picture. It was Ximena and him on Sunday, in quite a compromising position like they were kissing.

"Where did you get this?" he demanded, his temper flaring steadily. People never seemed to mind their own damn business and it got on his nerves badly.

"It's literally on every gossip column in Miami. Apparently, the infamous elusive bachelor is in a relationship according to the article after being last spotted with the opposite gender ages ago," he laughed and crossed his arms. Adriano handed him back his phone. It now his turn to run a hand through his styled back hair, disheveling it slightly. "So, when's the wedding? You haven't even asked me to be the best man yet!"

Adriano gave him a flat look. "Who else would be my best man, Santi? And, the wedding will be pretty soon but I really don't want to talk about it," he sliced coldly. Talking about it set him on the edge since he wasn't yet comfortable with it. If anything, he was quite apprehensive.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say this woman has you wrapped around her little finger already..." he trailed off, chuckling. Not waiting for a response, he stood and then began for the door. "I'll leave you to your work. I hope you drown in it," he joked and then exited the room.

"What an idiota," he huffed under his breath. As much as he wanted to deny it, he knew his friend was right. Already as it was, he couldn't even get her out of his mind much less that kiss she gave him on the cheek. Good thing he hadn't mentioned it to his moron of a friend otherwise he wouldn't have heard the end of it.

The situation maddened him to the fullest extent possible. Anyone who could be in his shoes would have been indifferent and passive aggressive but he knew that Ximena was as much of a victim as he was. He couldn't blame her for the deal their psychotic fathers made or for the fact that she was just so damned beautiful. No, it wasn't her fault at all. Slowly he was starting to forget about Amanda; her hair, her lips, her touch...everything and another was taking her place. How was that even possible?

Shaking his thoughts away, Adriano directed his thoughts back to his work. Not even an hour later the landline at his desk rang. He picked it up and seethed into it. "What do you want?" He didn't even care who was on the other line.

"S-sorry to interrupt sir, b-but there is someone here who wants to see you," came Imogen's scared voice. Adriano sighed.

"Do they have an appointment. Who is it?" he asked less harshly.

"A woman. Says her name is Ximena Dos Ramos." His heartbeat stilled and then sped up. What was she doing here?

"Let her in," he said his voice shaky. He cleared his throat as he set the phone back on his desk and then began to fix his hair and jacket. Wow, I'm pathetic he thought and then chuckled inwardly. The door came ajar and in peeked a head with a familiar mass of black and blonde curls.

"Can I come in?"

________________

Hey lovelies. How are you doing? I hope ypu enjoy this chap. Guys, please remember to vote, comment and share. Let's get the votes up!

Love you all too too much,

~Deetronite