Chapter 36

After having spent majority of the day with her family, Ximena had decided it was about time she got home; her new home.

It felt weird that she would no longer be staying at her parents home in Miami but by now she should have been used to it since she'd been basically living with Adriano for the past couple of days.

But that had been temporary; this was a permanent thing. Hell, it actually didn't get anymore temporary than that.

The matter at hand was that she wanted to be the best wife possible for Adriano. Suddenly, everything about her life was just about him, what he was feeling and what he thought of her. It was funny how some weeks ago, she was hell bent on not getting married. Oh how the tables have turned.

"You can cook for him tonight, it might make him feel better. I'll let you have your abuela's secret enchilladas recipe and my famous chilli one too. That should cheer him up and hopefully make him fall in love with you," her mother had advised her with a cheeky grin, much to her never ending embarassment.

Is this what being in love was like? Always looking to be the best version of yourself for the other person and caring so much that they're happy at all times? Nobody had prepared her for this.

Changing into a comfortable pair of grey track bottoms and a pink tank top, Ximena slipped on some flip flops and exited their bedroom and went downstairs. The kitchen was now fully stocked after having gone grocery shopping earlier so cooking would not be a problem, though she knew that sooner or later they'd need to higher some help due to their upcoming busy schedules.

Adriano hadn't contacted her the whole day and the few times she'd texted or called him, he hadn't picked up. Was he purposefully ignoring her? Was she being too clingy? Was he getting tired of her already?

I am so screwed, she thought grimly as she proceeded to gather the ingredients she would need for meal. Cooking had always interested her, although she had not really done much of it in her lifetime. Maybe that would be changing soon.

After all, food was the way to a man's heart right?

Her phone rang a couple of minutes after beginning the process of making enchiladas. Thinking it was Adriano, she dashed over to it but felt a wash of disappointment when she saw that it was only Chelsea.

"Hello," she answered dejectedly and Chelsea chuckled.

"You don't sound happy to hear my voice. May I ask why? I used to be the prime source of joy in your life," she joked, mirth lacing her tone. At least one of them seemed happy.

Ximena sighed for the umpteenth time. "I am happy to hear from you. It's just that I've been distracted," she trailed of in frustration, putting her phone on loud speaker and placing it on the island. It was already time for sunset, the sun painting the horizon a magnificent hue of red and orange.

"I can already tell this has something to do with that spicy papi of yours. Spill girlfriend," and then Ximena told her all that has been happening, simultaneously preparing the food.

Chelsea remained silent for some seconds after she'd wrapped up the list of events. "Oh damn. I'm really sorry that he went through that. He must be having a tough time. But he doesn't have to treat you like that," she voiced, concerned for her best friend.

"Like how? He's not doing anything wrong," Ximena remarked defensively. In her perspective, Adriano wasn't doing anything wrong, or was he?

"That's the thing with you, Mena. Always wearing your heart on your sleeve. He's shutting you out, not even considering your feelings and that's unhealthy and not to mention plain disrespectful. After all you did for him, he just goes off on his own? And he didn't even let you know where he is? Girl, that ain't right."