PROLOGUE; you are in love

"pauses, then says 'you're my best friend'
and you knew what it was
he is in love"

y/n's pov

There was always the occasional night where Judy Hicks was out due to her Sheriff duties, leaving Wes at home alone. Those were the nights Wes invited me for a sleepover. The said sleepover included very little sleep. Instead, we would watch movies, listen to music, make out.

Tonight was one of those nights.

Wes sat down on the couch beside me with a bowl of slightly overcooked popcorn as some Netflix horror film played on the tv.

"Beware," Wes said, causing me to pause as I grabbed a handful of popcorn out of the bowl. "it probably tastes disgusting."

I popped a few pieces into my mouth. It was quite obviously burnt, but the flavours of butter and salt mostly managed to mask it.

"It's actually not that bad."

"Were you seriously doubting my popcorn making skills?" He raised an eyebrow. "Cause I'm an excellent popcorn maker and this is proof."

"Sure you are."

Wes leaned in and pressed a kiss to my lips. After we pulled away I ran my hand through the side of his bleached hair.

"You know what? I really like your hair like this."

He smiled with furrowed brows. "Really?"

"Yeah, you look cute."

"Well, I like your hair like this." Wes flicked a few strands of mine.

"It's the same as it's always been, dummy."

"And it makes you look cute."

I chuckled and he wrapped his arms around me and pressed a kiss to the side of my head.

"I love you."

I smiled and turned to face Wes.

"I love you too, weirdo."

I leaned in and pecked Wes on the cheek. A smirk pulled on his lips as he pressed his forehead to mine before slowly kissing me. There was a gunshot and a yell on the tv, causing us to jump.

I kissed him one more time before turning to face the screen again.

"I have no idea what's even going on in this movie." Wes said as he eased back into the couch and stuffed some popcorn into his mouth.

"Neither." I leaned into Wes' arms and watched as some kid flashed newspaper clippings to his friends and went on about murders and witches.

"Huh."

---

A few hours later, the front door opened and closed, waking up Wes and I who were cuddled on the couch.

"Wes!?" Judy Hicks' voice rang through the house. "Wes!?"

"Mom?" Wes groaned as he slowly sat up. "What's going on?"

Relief washed over Judy's face when she walked into the room, seeing Wes and I. She seemed to think something over in her head.

"It doesn't matter right now." She forced a smile as I rubbed my eyes. "You two should just go up to bed and get some sleep. You have school tomorrow. I'll explain in the morning."

Wes ran a hand through his hair and spoke sleepily, his face scrunched at the shining light that was now coming from the roof. "Right."

He grabbed my hand and we both made our way upstairs to his room.

"Night mom."

"Goodnight honey."

"Goodnight Judy." I mumbled, still half asleep.

"Goodnight Y/N." She gave us a small smile.

"What time is it?" Wes asked me with a yawn as we walked into his room.

"I don't know." I lifted my phone to check, wincing at the brightness. "1:30 in the morning."

Wes flopped onto his bed face first. "I'm so tired."

His voice was muffled by his pillow as he repeated it. "So tired."

"Me too." I said, lying down beside him. Wes adjusted himself so he was on his side and facing me. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer. I rested my head against his chest and wrapped my own arms around his torso. It didn't take long for us to fall back asleep as sirens wailed faintly outside.