CHAPTER TWO; habits

"love you like oxygen
you don't know what i'd do for you

y/n's pov

Wes, Amber and I were sitting on the bed beside Tara's while Chad and Mindy sat in seats next to us. We were all talking and catching up with Tara when the room's door opened to reveal Sam and some guy. We all stood up, Wes placing his hands on his hips.

Sam then crouched next to Tara's bed. "How are you feeling?"

"You came?" Tara asked with a smile.

"Of course I came." She then gestured to the guy behind her. "This is my boyfriend, Richie."

"It's so nice to meet you and I'm so sorry if I'm intruding."

Tara waved a little. "It's nice to meet you, too."

Sam hugged Chad, Mindy and I tightly before moving over to Wes.

"Hi. Thank you for calling."

"Of course."

When they pulled apart, Sam looked up. "Look at your hair."

"Yeah." Wes chuckled.

"I like it."

Sam walked back over to Richie.

"These are Chad and Mindy, the twins," The two waved. "Y/N and Wes. I used to babysit them all."

"Which is always how I like to be introduced." Wes joked.

"And Amber, hey."

Amber forced a smile. "Hi. Nice to see you."

"Hi, um, Richie." He introduced himself.

"Hi."

"Where's mom?" Sam asked her sister.

"She's stuck at a conference in London. She called me earlier." Tara replied.

"Yeah, for all of ten minutes." Amber muttered.

"Uh, look, guys, Tara's really tired," She then said to us. "Maybe we should just give her some space."

"Yeah." We agreed and started walking out of the hospital room.

"Not you, Sam." We all stopped at Tara's words. "I want you to stay."

"Okay." Sam nodded.

"But the rest." Chad said.

"Yeah." Wes grabbed my hand gently.

"Bye, Tara." I waved to my friend with a small smile before walking out of the room.

---

"So, what's she like?" Liv asked as we all played pool. "Her sister?"

"Sam? Oh, Sam is so cool." Chad grinned.

"Okay, you only say that because she let you wear Pokémon onesies to bed for a year." Mindy said to her brother.

"That's true, it's a true statement."

"Trust me, Sam is not cool." Amber told Liv. "Her dad left her mom, right, walks right out when Tara's eight and Sam's 13. Sam started acting out, getting in trouble with the cops and then, on Sam's 18th birthday, she leaves, ghosts them all. Maybe Sam's changed. I just don't want to see Tara hurt again."

"So, what, you're protecting Tara from her own sister now?" I asked Amber.

"Well, someone has to."

"Right, so no one can be friends with her, except you, and now her family's off limits too?"

"Hmm, motive."

"Excuse me?"

"If I can't have her, no one can." Mindy said with a smirk.

"You're acting like I'm in love with her!"

"You guys have been best friends forever--"

"Come on, Mindy." Wes interrupted.

"But we're all suspects." Mindy said, looking around at the group. Chad then raised his glass of coke with a smile. "Except for maybe Liv."

"Thank you."

"You're way too boring to be a psycho."

"Yo, Liv." We looked over to see creepy Vince from earlier. "You want a real drink? Or are you alright sitting at this kid's table?"

"All right, hey, listen up, uglier Michael Myers," Chad walked towards Vince defensively. "It was a Summer fling, all right? It meant nothing."

"Sorry, was I talking to you?"

"I don't fucking care who you're talking to."

"Liv, let's go." Vince looked past Chad at her.

"Don't you fucking talk to her. I don't want to hear your goddamn voice."

Vince then pulled out a switchblade. "You shut your fucking mouth. You better shut the fuck up."

"Hey!" The woman at the bar yelled at Chad and creepy Vince. "Get out of here or I'm calling the cops."

"Go." Chad pointed at the door.

"I'll see you soon, sweetheart." Gross.

"Man, fuck you."

"You kids, too. Let's go." The woman gestured to us.

"You see that shit?" Chad said to Wes, not taking his eyes off Vince.