You're Different

It was around eleven at night. Maddie was up in what she barely called her bedroom, avoiding Dabi as usual since he didn't enjoy her presence at all. The feeling was mutual at this point. She was happily playing her new system that Tavia had gotten her and joy began to spread through her body. She was accepting villains a lot more and she actually had a friend again. Tavia was willing to accept her after one single day of hanging out with her. She planned to leave Dabi's home and just go live with her since she seemed to annoy Dabi, anyway. She had done nothing to break any of his rules, though. At least she thought she didn't.

The firm footsteps that were down below her suddenly grew louder and faster. Maddie looked at her door and realized they were getting louder. They were coming up there. Her heart started to pound, wondering what she could've done to piss him off. There was not a single rule he told her that she broke. He never wanted to speak with her if he didn't have to. The door came flying open and Dabi's expression looked as if he was holding back a dangerous urge.

"W-What?" Maddie asked and moved back a little.

"You went in my room, didn't you?" Dabi growled.

"What?" Maddie blinked with confusion. "No, I haven't been there at all." She said honestly.

"Oh, really?!" Dabi raised an eyebrow. "My drawer is open and one of my things is missing! Give it to me now and I'll maybe forget this!"

"I never went in there." Maddie repeated. "Someone else must've."

"WHO ELSE IS IN HERE?!" Dabi snapped. "I KNOW YOU DID IT, PRO HERO PEST! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!"

"THERE'S NOTHING TO GIVE! I NEVER WENT IN YOUR ROOM, DABI!" Maddie shouted back.

"GIVE IT TO ME NOW OR I'LL BURN IT OUT OF YOU!" Dabi threatened, lighting his hand on fire.

Maddie frowned. "I-I... Do you seriously think I took something from you?"

"Ooooh! Don't get all innocent with me, sweetheart!" Dabi growled. "You're a Pro Heroes kid! You're just like the rest of that trash! Lying! Vindictive! Manipulative! I don't trust you for a damn second and don't you think for a moment that you're not just expendable waste like the rest of your kind!"

Maddie glared. "Maybe I'm not like my mother. Did you ever consider that?!"

"NO! BECAUSE I KNOW THAT'S NOT TRUE! EVERYONE IS USELESS AND ANNOYING TRASH!" Dabi pointed. "I LET YOU STAY HERE HERE BECAUSE YOU WERE A NOVELTY TO ME! A PRO HERO KID THAT DID SOMETHING BAD FOR ONCE!" His flames burned brighter. "GUESS WHAT, KID?! MY INTEREST HAS WORN OFF!"

Maddie shook and felt herself start to cry. She didn't know why, but Dabi hating her so much upset her. It was weird. Was she just wanting him to like her? She already learned the hard way that some people just won't ever like her no matter how hard she tries. She thought Dabi would've been her fresh start. It was foolish. "I don't care if you don't believe me, but I am telling the truth." She told him and shoved her bag at him. "You can check my bag. You can check the room. I don't care. I'm done."

Dabi glared and looked through her bag. He pulled out everything and ignored most of it, but he grabbed one of her drawings and looked at it for a second. He acknowledged she was a good artist, but only for a second and moved on. After finding nothing, he scoffed and shoved the bag back at her.

"You're done?" Dabi asked her. "Fine. Get the hell outta here. I hated you being here. It was a mistake."

Maddie put her gaming system back in her bag and angrily put the bag around her. "The feeling is mutual." She shot back. "I hope you find what you're looking for." She sighed and started for the door.