Can I Stay With You?

Dabi's work schedule was an enigma in itself. He could come home early or even the afternoon of the next day. It really depended on what Giran wanted him to do. Maddie had gotten used to his schedule being sporadic, and she didn't mind it. She did get a little lonely while he was gone all day most of the week, but she hung out with Tavia and it made his day off even more special. Now it was currently one in the morning, and Dabi had no expectations of Maddie being awake even though she was awake at three in the morning the night before. He got to the door and began to unlock it. There was a small moment where his exhausted self forgot which way meant unlock and the door opened when he found out. The light was on in the living room still, but the rest of the house was dark. It confused him for a moment, but remembered Maddie was afraid of being home alone at night on her own. That alone made him feel bad for being gone all day. The TV was still on, playing rerun episodes of Feldsein.

"Maddie..." Dabi mumbled tiredly. "Why'd you leave the TV on? I asked you to turn it off when you went to--" Then he looked at the kitchen table and saw her there. "Maddie?"

Maddie didn't respond to him. Her head was in her arms and her breathing indicated she was sleeping. Dabi almost panicked, but thankfully figured that out before he did something drastic. Slowly and while his eyes began to give up on him, he walked closer to her. She was asleep on a piece of paper and there were pencils and markers next to her. Dabi concluded that she had been drawing with Feldsein on in the background and fell asleep.

"Aw..." Dabi couldn't help but smile. "Did you fall asleep while you were drawing, Kiddo?"

Trying his best not to wake her up, Dabi slowly grabbed her and picked her up. Maddie felt herself be moved, but was so exhausted that she didn't wake and just rested herself on the nearest pillow, which was Dabi's chest. Dabi managed a small chuckle and carried her up into her room. He used the light from the living room to see where to go and gently placed her in her bed.

"I love you, Maddie..." Dabi said after he tucked her under the covers. "I really do... I know I haven't been able to actually say it to you yet... but I really believe that I love you..." He reached his hand out and gently rubbed her head.

After getting the little head rub and hearing Dabi's voice, Maddie slowly began to wake up. Dabi didn't notice her hazel eyes flutter open in the dark, so he stood up and was about to leave the room. Maddie grinned at the sight of him being home and immediately sat up.

"Dabi-Kun!" Maddie let out in a happy shout.

Dabi turned around with surprise and Maddie quickly got out of bed, giving him a big hug. "Hey! I just tucked you in!" He shouted at her with a chuckle.

"I was waiting up to see you." Maddie looked up at him and then went a little sad. "I guess I fell asleep..."

Dabi smiled and rubbed her head. "I missed ya, Kid."

"I missed you, too." Maddie giggled. "How was work?"

"Oh, no less horrible than usual." Dabi joked.

"I'm glad." Maddie laughed at him.

"Do you know what made it even more horrible, though?" Dabi leaned down closer to her.

"What?" Maddie asked him.

Dabi poked her nose with his finger and started to wiggle it. "Not being with you."

Maddie blushed a little at him and let out another small giggle. "I'm happy you're home." She told him.

"Me too, and I'm tired as hell." Dabi rubbed her head. "I'm gonna go to bed, okay?"

"Okay." Maddie nodded with a smile and then let out a little sad face when he started to walk away. "Uh... wait..."