Midnight Promise

It had been a few days since your arrival in Teyvat. It seemed that the boy had arranged for you to stay at the Inn. There was no leaving here now. Feeling bad you had no mora to give the owner, you offered to work at Wangshu Inn while you stayed there. It was tiring work. Every day you were given random tasks. Sometimes it was greeting customers, cleaning rooms, helping the chef, or serving those eating at the restaurant. You barely had time to go out and enjoy Liyue.

Tossing and turning in your sleep, you had come to the conclusion you weren't going to sleep any time soon. Verr was nice enough to lend you some clothes and you swore that you'd buy new ones once you have a chance to get to the harbour. Pulling on a cloak, you head out of your room and into the quiet lobby.

"(Y/N), can't sleep?" Verr's gentle voice caught your attention as you passed the desk.

"Y-yeah. I'm going out to walk." The lady nodded at you as you scratched your cheek.

"Don't wander too far. There have been hillichurls spotted near the Inn lately." Even though the comment seemed to warn you, the receptionist didn't seem at all worried about your safety.

"Right, thanks." Bowing to her, you head down towards the elevator and quickly duck in. Most of the patrons were tucked in for the night. There were a few still at the outdoor restaurant drinking with peers. Smiling at how happy they looked with each other, you head towards the back of the building. Passing the docks, you sit in a field by the river. With the quiet hum of the night, you take in a deep breath. Coming to Teyvat was sure a shock for you. You weren't even sure if you had actually recovered from it. Verr had mentioned the traveller comes here from time to time. This means you didn't replace them and it means there's a hope of getting you home. Letting it sink in, your mind wanders back to the day you had gotten here.

Strange, the boy had been on your mind since he left. Something about him was familiar, but you couldn't quite put your finger around it. Softly, your hands brush over the mask tied to your waist. He gave it to you and you had kept it.

Protection, huh? You thought subconsciously. What did he say to call out again?

"Xiao?" Not realizing you had said it out loud, you yelped when the boy appeared above you.

"(Y/N)." Even when his eyes are full of pain, the boy's face is as unchanging as ever. "Why did you call?" Confused, the boy looked around at the peaceful setting.

"I didn't mean to..." Your voice was quiet as you concentrated on the calm waters ahead.

"O-oh... I see." There was an awkward silence before the sound of fading footsteps was heard. As if a reflex, you had reached out to grab the boy's pant leg. There was a hopeful glimpse in Xiao's eyes as he stared at your hand.

"S-sorry, I don't know what came over me." Immediately retracting your hand, you hug your knees close to your chest. "I guess I'm just a little stressed and lonely in this world." Without another word, Xiao had come to sit beside you. The soft glow of the Inn and the moonlight made this moment look more magically than you thought it should.

"I don't mind keeping you company."

"Can you... can you tell me about them? The person you mistook me for?" There was a bit of hesitance in your voice as you rested your cheek on your arms to look at Xiao.

"She was the kindest person I'd ever known. There were a lot of things she had taught me to do. Things I would have never learnt had I not left this world on an accident. She made me smile and accepted me with all my flaws." There was a bitter feeling in the Yaksha's words but you couldn't pinpoint where it was from. "You've been working hard at the Inn, haven't you?"

"Yeah... I thought it's the least I could do for staying here rent-free." You shrugged at his comment. The girl could be anyone. You thought.

"Did... did you want to go the harbour? I heard it's filled with people and shops. I know you've been using the extra clothes from Ms. Goldlet. I'm sure you'd want some of your own." The more the boy spoke, the quieter he became.

"The harbour? Liyue harbour?" You perked up at the thought of heading to the lively place. According to the lore, lots of your favourite characters had lived there. Maybe it was your chance to meet some of them. "I would love to go, but I heard it's a few days' travels from the Inn. I'm not sure I have that many days off. Plus, how would I get there? It's not exactly close to here."

"You know a lot about this world."

"This place is a story of a sort from my world. I've seen it so many times, I've practically memorized every detail of it." Giggling at yourself, you smile at the boy. "I was told you're distant and cold, but you're not so bad." In return, Xiao had smiled at you as the two of you lay in the grass. The breeze was starting to lull you to sleep before you heard the Yaksha speak again.

"I'll take you to Liyue Harbour... if you want. I'm sure Ms. Goldlet will let you go."

"You'd do that for me? Thanks. I'll take your offer then." The sleepiness in your tone was apparent because not a moment sooner you felt the comfort of your bed underneath you. Thinking nothing of it, you fall asleep immediately.

EXTRA:

Xiao sighed as he stared at the soft rise and fall of your figure. His heart was still fluttering from the way you had said his name. He hadn't heard you call him in so long and once was all it took to set his heart ablaze. There was no doubt about it. You were definitely the same (Y/N) when he had gone to your world, but why didn't you remember him?

Pondering this, Xiao leaves your room and heads for the roof. Before heading out the door, his eye is caught on the mask he had given you. It was clutched between your arms. He had also noticed a piece of paper scribbled with words.

Memory loss?

Xiao + me?

Cause: Banner rolling?

The fact that you had tried to acknowledge your memory loss and that Xiao could be within it, made his heart race. Softly, the boy placed a kiss on your forehead before heading out.

Who will you meet at Liyue Harbour? I'm so happy!! I convinced someone to play Genshin with me on the condition that I help them get to AR 16 before they start playing. I haven't had to grind Genshin in so long. Ar 10 within 5 hours, I'm proud of myself but completely dead. This is a very short chapter, but I thought I'd get this idea out before I forgot and procrastinated on it. The reader is starting to understand that maybe Xiao was amongst those lost memories. How will you try to retrieve them? Reminder to drink lots of water and stay safe, everyone! Have a great morning/day/afternoon/evening/night!!!