Resurfacing Memories Pt. 1

It was here again, that dream that felt too real not to be true. You felt the cold of the snow in your hands as you flung it at someone across the field. His laugh rung through your ears as a black spot had covered his face. Even though you had never seen his appearance, you knew you loved him with all your heart. The two of you had played in the freezing snow for what seemed like hours. Every time, the dream would end with the boy saying something inaudible. What was it? When you had woken up, you had forgotten all of his features and a tear rolling down your cheek. You had tried your best to make out the words the boy wanted to say but had no luck in figuring it out.

"(Y/N), you can take a break now. Here, a Lantern Rite bonus." Verr was smiling at you as she placed a leather pouch in your hand. You snapped out of your trance as you watched the lady smooth out her dress. It seemed pretty heavy and it made you want to return the fee. Knowing the receptionist, she would find sneaky ways to give it to you without you noticing.

"Thank you, Verr." Smiling back at her, you tied the pouch to your waist as you sighed. It was that time of year again. The Lantern Rite. An idea had popped in your head and you called after the innkeeper. "Ah, wait. Do you happen to have some materials for me to make something?"

. . .

"Thank you so much for all your help, traveller. Oh, if you could wait just a moment. There is someone I was hoping you could meet." The receptionist made her way over to where you were working on your mysterious project. "(Y/N), the traveller I had spoken about had come to the inn. She's at the front desk."

"Hello, you must be the traveller I've heard so much about." Giving her a small bow, you smiled. Not that hearing much about Lumine was a daily occurrence, but you knew her through the game and it was enough.

"Hi, I also heard you have a few questions for me, correct?" Lumine's smile was gentle as she gestured for the stairs. Nodding, the two of you plus Paimon, make your way to the rooftop.

"I'm an outlander. Someone not from this world." You explain your situation to the girl and she listens quietly.

"Ah... I see. That's very interesting and different from what my brother and I had experienced coming to this world. See, my brother and I are world travellers. We had come through a gate that should be blocked by now. For you to suddenly come to this world is really a phenomenon that's a little out of my knowledge. Though, if you didn't come from the world gate, I don't think you'll be leaving from there." Lumine nodded and put her hand on your back to reassure you.

"That's a little relieving to hear. Another thing, I'd like to commission you. Just a small little job." You reached into your pouch to pull out some mora.

"Of course."

. . .

You watched as the traveller and her companion set off on your commission. It was a little too difficult for you to do it by yourself without bringing attention to your project. Thus, you sent Lumine to run a small errand. You weren't surprised when you had felt Xiao's presence on the roof with you shortly after Lumine disappeared out of sight.

"Hey, Xiao. Tell me about your memories with her." Leaning on the railing of the roof, you take in a deep breath.

"You want to know?" You were tempted to punch the boy in the arm for such an obvious question.

"Why else would I ask?"

"...She made me happy when I was lost in a different world. When I had arrived there, it was Winter so we spent most of our time inside or in the snow. She taught me how to skate and that eating snow isn't the best thing." There was a small cough-like laugh the boy had let out, but you were just confused.

"She taught you how to skate?" Giving the boy a weird smile, you shook your head at him. "Was there anything else you did in the snow? Say, a snowball fight?" Xiao's eyes widened a little at the mention of your words.

"Do you... did you get your memories back?" His voice was small and hesitant as he carefully asked his question. Shaking your head, you turn back to the setting sun.

"...No. I'll accept that maybe I have lost some memories along the way of getting here. Clearly, you're a prime resident of this world that I thought I knew inside and out. If I don't remember you, there has to be a reason." You paused and debated if you should tell Xiao about the reoccurring and confusing dreams you've had. "I dreamt about it. I'm not sure if they're memories or just fantasies my head creates. In my dreams, I'm with someone I know I love more than anything. I can never see his face or properly hear his voice, but I know I'm happy with him. Most of the things we do are winter activities and last night was a snowball fight. I wake up feeling confused about the tear rolling down my cheek. I just want to know what he says before I wake up."

The wind carries your voice as silence fills the space. For a while, neither of you say anything as the sky begins to darken. Taking a deep breath, you turn back to the boy.

"I'm not asking you to help me in any way, I'm just venting, I guess. Like I said before, your world is a fantasy to mine. I know everything about it. Who lives in it, approximately their stories. You are the only exception and if my missing memories have anything to do with you, I'd like to figure it out somehow." It was getting a little awkward at how Xiao had continued to stare into the distance. His hair waved in the breeze as his golden eyes finally landed on you.

"I'll tell you everything I know tomorrow if you can meet me here at noon. For now, you should sleep. It's getting late." Without another word, the boy disappears in a green haze. Feeling a little bit lighter, you head for bed. Maybe getting information from Xiao would be the best thing to help jog your memories. With a little bit of hope in your heart, you fell asleep.

What is your secret project going to be? Most importantly, who is it for? I guess we'll never know until the end of the book. Your memories are coming back and they're a little painful to remember. What do you think Xiao has to say about it? Okay, enough questions, I was going to post this chapter yesterday, but I was too busy so here it is now. I know the Xiao banner is gone and the Zhongli one is here. I've decided that I won't be doing a Zhongli book this time because it'll just be too much stress put on me. So, you're all stuck with this book and my inconsistent updates <3 I wasn't going to make this into two parts, but I figured, why not? So I'll be releasing part two as soon as I can :) The Lunar New year is coming up and I personally celebrate it so, I wish you all good health and fortune! Have an amazing morning/day/afternoon/evening/night!!!