Midnight Snack

By the time you and Xiao had reached Wangshu Inn and settled down, it was near midnight. Realizing the two of you hadn't eaten anything since midday, you sneak into the kitchen to make something small. Xiao was distracted by something he had to take care of so it was free time for you.

Looking around the small kitchen, you try to find some fresh ingredients to make your favourite snack. It had been a while since you touched it, obviously given that you had been stuck in Teyvat for quite some time. It was longer than Xiao's visit to your world which surprised you most. Finally, you gathered all the ingredients you could find and headed for the stove. You were so lost in your cooking that you didn't notice the figure creeping up behind you.

"Smells good." His arms snake around your waist as you continue to focus on the food. Xiao nuzzles his face into your shoulder as you feel him sigh out of bliss.

"I'm just glad I could find the right ingredients for (Favourite cookable snack). It's been a while since I cooked for myself." Giggling to yourself, you recalled the memories of cooking in the kitchen with the Yaksha. It also brought memories of Xiao's breakfast to your mind. However, your moment alone doesn't last very long because someone wanders into the cooking area despite it being way past midnight.

"(Y/N)? Is that you?" A boyish voice came from the bottom of the stairs and you turned around. Yingmao was rubbing his eyes and half asleep, but he was there. "Oooh, that smells good."

It seemed the new boy didn't seem to notice Xiao's tightening grip on my waist as I gave him a half smile. He approaches us without paying much mind to your backpack boy.

"I was just making a midnight snack. Erm..." You didn't know what else to say. It seemed rude to shoo him away, but you wanted whatever time you had left with the Yaksha all to yourself.

"Oh that's cool... hey! It's burning!" As if on cue, the snack you prepared started to smell and you turned to it in a hurry. Quickly getting it off the stove, you frown at the mess. Xiao peered over your shoulder as he let out a small chuckle. It tickled your ear as your face went red.

"Ah, I must have left it on too high a heat." Rubbing the back of your head, you prepare to make another one.

"Nono, high heat is fine, I think this is the part you messed up on. Here, let me help." Ignoring Xiao's discontent, Yingmao gently took the utensils from you and sat you down.

"I'm not sure you'd make it like (Y/N) likes it. I will make it." Coldly, Xiao crosses his arms at the other boy and heads for the ingredients.

"Excuse me? At least I know how to cook." This remark seemed to anger the Yaksha, but he continued to cook nonetheless. You giggled at the sight of Xiao trying so hard to impress you and knock Yingmao out of the kitchen. It took a bit, but both boys presented their dishes. Yingmao had a sparklingly lavish dish while Xiao's looked simple and unorganized.

"You call that something that can be served? That looks like a heap of inedible food." You frowned at the waiter's rudeness as he seemed not to notice because he turned to you with a smug expression. "Here, (Y/N), I made this for you. It's a delicacy where I come from."

The dish was unlike something you had seen before. Giving them a fair vote, you take a bite of the food. The texture was nothing like you expected. The flavours exploded on your tongue as an aromatic scent overwhelmed your mouth. There were so many flavours and spices, you didn't know where to begin describing the dish. Still, you ate about a quarter before putting down your utensil.

"Well? How was it?" There was an expectancy to succeed in the boy's eyes as he peered at you. Even with a straight and stern face, you could tell Xiao was curious to hear your analysis as well.

"Well... there sure is a lot of flavours, but I'll need to try both dishes before evaluating." You gave the boys a small smile before trying Xiao's dish. It was the dish you were trying to make before. A little scrambled and unorganized, but you could tell the sincerity that went into making this. Placing a bite into your mouth, you swooned at the taste you so very longed for since arriving in Teyvat. It was perfect. Despite the display and appearance, this was by far the best thing you've had in a long time. Through this one plate, you could tell how much effort Xiao put into making your food. Within a few bites, you were already finished.

"After heavy consideration, I like this dish better." Pointing to Xiao's empty plate, you smile at the Yaksha with a warm and satisfied expression.

"But... but why? His dish was so ugly and it didn't seem like it was satisfying. Everything on it looked uncooked and raw. You said mine had a lot of flavours, that's good no?" Yingmao's desperation for approval was evident in the way he clung to your decision.

"Yes, it was flavourful, but that's the problem. There were too many flavours covering one another. I could barely tell what you wanted me to taste. Was it the special spices? Or the spiciness of the Jueyun chilis? I couldn't tell. Because there were too many flavours, there was nothing else to mellow it out. Rice would have probably been a nice touch and break for the tongue. Not to mention, I was looking for a Midnight snack. Something small and palatable to sustain my temporary hunger. This dish was perfect in every way." You paused to look at Yingmao's dark brown eyes. "Not only did it not qualify for a midnight snack, but this also wasn't what I was making, nor did I request it. The chef can only do a good job by assessing what their customer needs, not something the chef wants."

With all that, you sweep out of the kitchen, taking Xiao with you. The night ends without another word. However, in the very back of his mind, the Yaksha was overjoyed to hear your critique.

Another short and sweet chapter, but if you haven't already guessed... this book is coming to a close. After wrapping up loose ends, this second Xiao book will be coming to a close (for now). I plan to release the last chapter of the book tomorrow since the 3.3 update is tomorrow (and I'm in the process of writing it). As mentioned before, the Wanderer's banner is in the next patch and don't worry, I have content. I will be releasing a Scaramouch book, but it won't be in the same isekai format as the previous books in this series. Hopefully, this slightly new format will get me more motivated to write regularly. I won't disclose much, but it's recommended you finish the Sumeru Archon quest (up until the 3.3 update as of right now) before proceeding with the new book. I will say nothing more and I look forward to seeing you guys in the next one! Have yourself a happy little morning/afternoon/evening/night!!!