PROLOGUE

》* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ * 。° 。 • ˚《
𝐏𝐀𝐏𝐄𝐑 𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒
PROLOGUE ----▹

》* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ * 。° 。 • ˚《𝐏𝐀𝐏𝐄𝐑 𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒PROLOGUE ----▹

Adelaide's red-rimmed eyes stared back at her as she leaned against the sink, she was supposed to be happy, she had just graduated college, after all, she plucked a make-up wipe from the container, she gently brought it up to her face wiping away the make-up. Wincing every time she pressed too hard on the tender skin, she exhaled sharply when all the make-up was wiped away.

The blonde walked into the kitchen getting a glass from the cabinet, "Miss Thomas." she inhaled sharply hurdling the glass at the man's head, he caught it last second, "Quite an arm you have there, Miss Thomas."

"Who are you?" She asked firmly, "What do you want?" the blonde's voice tremored very slightly, you wouldn't have noticed unless you were trained too. "Nick Fury. Director of SHIELD, and I'm here to help you." the man stepped out of the shadows into the dimly lit kitchen, Adelaide scoffed, "I don't need help, especially not from a strange man with an eyepatch who broke into my apartment."

"You know, you're very hard to get in contact with Adelaide Thomas, soon to be Adelaide Jones. I would congratulate you, but it doesn't exactly seem like a good thing." Adelaide's jaw was clenched as she studied the man with the eye patch for a moment, "How did you know I was engaged. I haven't even told my mother yet."

"I have eyes everywhere, Miss Thomas." she narrowed her eyes at him, "You don't even have two eyes from what I can tell." she quipped, "Look, Adelaide, you've been on SHIELD's radar since you were in high school, you're very smart. Graduated at the top of your class. How did you end up here?"

She scoffed, "I couldn't get in contact with you, unless I broke into your apartment, because your fiance monitors all of your calls, you've lost contact with every friend you've ever had, you rarely even talk to your own mother." she shook her head, eyes dropping to the floor, "You had an extensive surgery eight months ago because you quote on quote fell down the stairs, the bleeding was so bad they had to remove your uterus." the blonde exhaled sharply, not wanting to even think about this.

"You are trapped, and I'm giving you a way out Miss Thomas, it will be a long difficult journey of healing, you'll have to change your name, cut contact with everyone in your life. But you'll get there, I have faith in you Adelaide."

"How," she breathed, "How am I supposed to get away from this?" she ran a hand through her blonde hair, "It seems like one moment, I was a high schooler going to football games, being head of the cheerleading squad," she took a sip of the ice water, a bit of it sloshing over the edge, "To being a broke, depressed college graduate, in an...abusive relationship" the end of the phrase was barely a whisper, it had always been hard for her to admit. She knew it wasn't normal, the gaslighting and coming home drunk throwing punches, and glasses. She knew it wasn't love. But it didn't make it hurt any less.

"That's why we are offering up our help. So, what do you say, Miss Thomas?"

 So, what do you say, Miss Thomas?"