Eleven.

August 10, 2007
Location: Adelaide's hometown

"You're late."

The gravel crunched underneath Adelaide's boots, as she leaned against the SHEILD-issued vehicle. "I know, I'm sorry."

"By like a month. Happy late birthday to me I guess." Lilian dragged a suitcase behind her, "Let's get the hell out of here."

Adelaide felt terrible, she had gotten so caught up in all of the shit with Natalia and the organization she worked for that she was way overdue for saving her own blood.

"I really am sorry for leaving you here, any longer than you had to be." the blonde breathed, loading in her younger sister's suitcase. 

"I get it, you have a job, and a life." Lilan shrugged, "So, where exactly is it that we're going?"

Adelaide smiled at her sister teasingly, "That unfortunately is very top secret."

"I hate you." Lilian rolled her eyes.

"Sure you do Lils." the blonde smiled, "Okay, seatbelt, so that we can get the hell out of here before anyone notices I was here."

Lilian buckled her seatbelt and they started the drive back to SHIELD, "So, I wanted to warn you about something you know before we actually get to our undisclosed location."

"Oh god." Lilian sighed.

"I was wondering if-"

"Are you dating someone?" Lilian cut off her sister.

"No. I'm not dating anyone, nothing like that." Adelaide reassured the eighteen-year-old, "So basically, here's the thing about the apartment, I don't exactly live there because you know my job is very time-consuming and all, but I also don't really know if you're ready to live by yourself or what your college plans are but-" 

"You're rambling, Addy."

"Oh," she paused, "Sorry. I guess I'm just asking what your plans are. If you have any?"

Lilian's eyes dropped to her lap, "I don't know, I didn't really get accepted to many. After you know everything, my academics didn't do so well, and yeah."

Adelaide's eyes remained glued to the road as she remained deep in thought, almost tuning out of the conversation completely.

"Addy? Are you still there?"

"I can't believe I'm asking you this because my job definitely isn't the safest and you're my baby sister, and-"

"Addy."

"I really shouldn't be offering up to like put you any dangerous situations. Especially after leaving you in that house and-"

"Adelaide."

The blonde finally snapped out of it, "Oh, I was rambling right?"

"Yeah." Lilian nodded, "Spit it out. What is it that you wanted to ask me?"

Adelaide sighed, "I guess I just wanted to ask if you would think about joining one of the SHIELD academies, Barton seems to think that you would make a good agent."

Lilian stared at her, "Wasn't Barton that older guy that you brought to Florence's wedding?"

The blonde let out a small laugh, "Yes, that would be him."

"Yeah, I was really skeptical of your supposed relationship with him 'cause he's got to be in like his mid to late thirties." Adelaide's sister spoke.

"Yeah- he's my best friend, there was nothing even remotely romantic going on between us."

There was a brief pause of silence, "Would SHIELD be something you're interested in though?"

Lilian pressed her lips together in thought, "Yeah, actually I think that it might be a good experience."

"Please don't think I'm pressuring you into anything though, please do whatever it is you want to do. I will support any and all of your decisions."

Lilian smiled softly, "I love you, Addy."

"I love you too."

"Laurie! You're back!" 

Adelaide spun on her heels a small smile pulling at her lips, "I'm back."

"How's your sister?" Clint asked, now walking beside the blonde.

"She's with Coulson, she'll be okay...I think." Adelaide spoke, "How's Natalia? Any progress?"

"What do you think? So far you're the only one she's said a word to since we got here." Clint stated.

"I figured," Adelaide sighed, "She needs to talk or Fury's gonna continued to be all skeptical and won't work out for any of us. I guess I need to go back in."

"No." a different voice interrupted, "You need to sleep, Laurence."

"May, I'm fine." she smiled, hoping to god it reached her eyes to make her appear less exhausted than she actually was.

"No." May shook her head, "Go sleep. Then we'll talk about Romanova."

"But May-"

"This isn't a negotiation."

"You're such a mom."

"Whatever. Go sleep." May said sternly.

Adelaide sighed in defeat, "Night Barton."

"Night Laurie!"

So Adelaide tried to sleep, she really did. The woman was just pretty much completely unsuccessful, there was too much going on in her life and she couldn't let herself relax. Which brought her right back into her usual schedule.

Training in the middle of the night.

"You know it's like 2 in the morning right?" Maria called out softly spotting Adelaide across the room.

"Yes, I do." the blonde nodded, pulling her hair up into a ponytail, "Can't sleep?"

Maria shook her head, "Not really, no."

"Me neither."

Adelaide offered the brunette a smile, "Wanna spare again?"

"You know it, Laurie."