Thirteen.

January 10, 2008
Location: SHIELD Headquarters

The four months leading up to Natalia, well now Natasha's final step to her defection to SHIELD, were very busy for Adelaide. Lilian seemed to be settling in well, she made some friends within the academy and still talked to Adelaide as often as possible. 

Adelaide and Lilan spent Christmas at the Barton farm, which had to be one of their best Christmases. 

Maria and Adelaide started spending more time together (outside of their late-night training sessions) and Barton teased the blonde non-stop about having a crush on Maria (which Adelaide consistently denied.)

"I've been meaning to ask you something."

Adelaide arched an eyebrow at the red-haired woman, she altered her accent to match everyone else's very quickly over the past four months. (Adelaide seriously considered asking her for some tips. She was growing tired of Barton's teasing about her own accent)

"You act...strangely, around Agent Hill." Natasha pointed out, "I noticed the very first day, it's almost like your entire body language shifts around her." 

"Oh, I never really noticed-" Adelaide spoke, her eyebrows pulled together in thought. 

"I just figured that maybe, you and Agent Hill were like...in a relationship?"

The blonde's head snapped around to face Natasha, "What?"

Natasha's face remained controlled, "I overstepped, right?"

"No, no, it's not that. It's just- I never thought of Maria like that, and I was just surprised." Adelaide shook her head with a small awkward smile.

"Oh no, maybe I just read into it wrong, but you know I couldn't help but ask since you know my training kind of forces me to pick up on things like subtle shared smiles, and lingering touches."

"Lingering touches?"

"Yeah, it's almost like the two of you gravitate towards each other..."

Realization washed over Adelaide, Natasha saw something that somehow the blonde never picked up. Adelaide actually had feelings for a certain brunette agent.

"May, I'm having a crisis," Adelaide announced entering the room where May was doing some sort of meditation. Based on the blonde's tone, and it's seemingly un-seriousness, the woman didn't move a muscle.

"I think I like, have feelings for Maria." the blonde started, already pacing around the room, "Like actual real, emotion-y feelings."

May who still had yet to say anything remained in her fixed spot, knowing that Adelaide just had to speak all of this out into the open.

"You see when Barton was teasing me about having a crush I was totally confused, but now I get it. I totally have a crush, which I mean who wouldn't Maria is totally amazing and sweet, and she's Maria. You know?"

Adelaide pulled her blonde hair off her shoulders and into a ponytail, "Should I tell her? Is that what people do?"

The blonde spun on her heel, facing May, "No you're totally right, I shouldn't tell her. That would just complicate everything. And I mean everything. We have such a good thing going on in between us, and her knowing that I have feelings would just throw the whole thing off the rails."

"Addy." May finally spoke up, and the blonde turned towards her, "Sit on the yoga mat and close your eyes. And just breathe. I promise you'll feel better."

Adelaide sighed, "Yeah, sure. Definitely."

The blonde sat down on the yoga mat, eyes closed, and took several deep breaths, "You're so right, my mind is moving way slower now." she whispered.

May opened her eyes, shooting Adelaide a look, "Sorry I'm ruining your meditation aren't I?"

After a couple of minutes of silence passed, the blonde couldn't take it anymore, "Maybe Barton will know what to do after he makes fun of me for a solid five minutes."

"Barton!"

The man jumped a bit, some of his coffee sloshing over the edge of the mug, then sending a glare in the blonde's direction. 

"Sorry," she smiled, "I have a problem. And you're not allowed to tease me about it."

"...Okay?"

"So I was talking to Natasha this morning and she made me realize that I totally, completely, and utterly have feelings for Maria."

Clint clapped, "Ha! Fury owes me ten dollars." 

"You made a bet on whether or not I had feelings for Maria?" Adelaide asked, offended.

"No," Clint paused, "I made a bet on how long it would take you to realize you had feelings for Maria."

Adelaide glared at him, "I hate you." 

"Love you too, Laurie." He smiled, "So why are your feelings an issue?"

The blonde sighed, "Do I tell her? I mean I don't wanna screw anything up, but if I don't tell her it's going to eat me away from the inside out."

"Addy. You are the least observant SHIELD agent I have ever met." Clint stated.

"What's that supposed to mean?" she crossed her arms, with a frown.

Clint laughed, "It's clear that Maria also has feelings for you."

Adelaide looked taken back, "What? No she doesn't."

"Yes she does," he argued, and Adelaide shook her head, "You're crazy, Barton."

"Whatever, Laurie." he shook his head, "My advice is to just tell her. I mean it worked out for Laura and me."

"You and Laura are meant for each other. I don't know that I will ever have anything like you have with her." Adelaide sighed.

"Laurie, you don't know that. Your past doesn't define your future, or some shit like that."

Adelaide let out a quiet laugh, "What did you get that off an inspirational quote poster or something?"

The man shrugged, "Was it inspiring?"

"I don't know if I would go as far as to say that it was inspiring," 

He looked at her, "But did it help?"

Adelaide smiled, "Maybe just a little bit."

"Then my work here is done." he paused, "Go get your girl."

"She's not my girl, Barton."