ten. cat's out the bag

゚⦁⃝․゚º⚪︎⦁ 10

゚⦁⃝․゚º⚪︎⦁ 10. cat's out the bag.゚º⦁ ⃝゚․⦁⋄∘⦿

      "SO PETER, HOW'S SCHOOL? ANY CLASSES WITH VAL?" myranda asked, smiling gently at the boy who sat stiffly at the table

      "SO PETER, HOW'S SCHOOL? ANY CLASSES WITH VAL?" myranda asked, smiling gently at the boy who sat stiffly at the table. it was obvious to the teens that she was trying to loosen up the awkwardness between the table, but failing to do so, hence the awkward questions.

peter, who was staring strictly at his plate and nothing else, looked up. he glanced at valorie who sat next to him before attempting to smile at her mother from across the table. "uh, good! we uh, we actually don't have any classes together, but school's great."

"ah, wonderful, wonderful. you seem like a smart boy, are there any clas-" she complimented before the loud blaring of her phone interrupted the silence. she picked up the device, looking through her glasses at the caller id before rolling her eyes. "ugh, it's work. i'll call back later."

she put the phone back in her pocket, which earned nosy stares from her two daughters. looking back up, she noticed the girls' expressions. "what?"

"you didn't answer the phone?" mazzy asked in mock surprise. "wow, mom, i have to say, this is quite surprising."

myranda realized what she was hinting at before rolling her eyes and swatting the air. "oh, hush."

it was true—when work called, myranda mitchell always answered. when they told her to come in, no matter what time of day or night, she came in. always. valorie and mazzy had always joked about it, fueling the conspiracy that her boss had some kind of spell on her. this has to be the first time either child has seen their mother deny a work call. usually when she was called in, they watched with knowing eyes as she left the table to get dressed and once she was gone, they cleaned the table themselves. it was all they ever knew these days.

"besides," myranda shrugged, stabbing a piece of steak with her fork. "it's probably just a lot of pr work with that new spider person running around."

valorie chuckled, thinking her mom was making some kind of joke before meeting her eyes, blinking the amusement away. "oh you're serious, what spider...person?"