22 - Wake up

"Try to focus more cursed energy through your katana when you strike," Maki told you.

You nodded, but heard someone say behind you, "Zenin-senpai, I think that's enough for the day. Y/n's already spent the whole day improving their cursed techniques."

She laughed. "Fine, I'll leave you to your boyfriend, Y/n."

You turned around to see Megumi leaning against the tree next to the running track, arms folded. "Stop calling me that. You know I'm not their boyfriend."

"Not yet," She replied as you walked over to him. He gave you your water bottle and you swallowed down water fast.

It had been a week since you'd been in Sapporo, where you'd exorcised your first curse in a mission. It had only been a first grade one, but the principal saw fit to promote your rank immediately to grade two. He'd seen potential in your cursed techniques, and knew you would climb ranks fast since you were the only student at Jujutsu to have more than one technique.

Gojo had been making you work hard, too. Just as Megumi had warned you, you had to get up at seven to run laps. During the day, Maki would help you improve your martial arts skills. You could already tell you'd improved in both fitness and combat.

As for you and Megumi, you still hadn't confessed your feelings. The second years had been pestering you all week, but you hadn't given in to them. You'd been telling them you were waiting for the right time, which was partially true.

Megumi hadn't been as forward since, and pretended nothing had happened that day when he almost kissed you. It made you begin to question whether it was an accident, or if it was a dream.

But even if it's a dream, that means it'll happen later,  You reminded yourself.

You closed the lid of your bottle and wiped the water off your chin. You sat down while he stayed standing up, leaning on the tree next to you. Maki was on the running track with Panda and Toge.

"Gojo's got a mission for us tomorrow, by the way," He told you.

"Ok, cool."

He hesitantly sat down next to you. "I also heard back about Tsumiki."

"Did the sorcerers call in to try wake her up again?"

"Yeah."

"And?"

You felt a hand on your arm. You looked over to see his saddened expression. His eyes were twinkling with water beginning to build up in them.

"Megumi..."

"They don't plan to try again," He mumbled.

His hand was still on your wrist and he gave it a light tug, so light you might have imagined it. You knew what he was asking for, so you leaned into his arms and rested your head on his chest.

His arms wrapped around your back. You could tell he really needed this.

The two of you stayed there for a while. You'd been overworked that day; Gojo had been helping you with your map technique all day, and after that Maki wanted to spar. The sun was just starting to set, making the air even colder if that was possible.

"Let's go to the hospital tonight," You said to him.

"But you look exhausted."

"I'm not. Let's go, anyway. It's only four-thirty."

"Fine," He replied as you pulled back and stood up.

–––––

The two of you walked to the train station and got on the next train. Luckily there were a few spare seats left, so the two of you sat down. You leaned back on the chair and tried to keep your eyes open.

"I thought you said you weren't tired," He said.

"I'm not," You lied.

"Ok."

After half an hour, you couldn't stay awake any more. Your eyes shut and everything went black.

Tsumiki lay on the cold, stony ground, her eyes shut and her hair sprawled around her on the floor. She slept peacefully, still in the coma.

Suddenly the curse marks began to disappear. The red marks on her forehead dissolved slowly, leaving her forehead free of marks.

Her eyes shot open.

Your eyes shot open and you tried to catch your breath. You sat up, trying to ignore the stares from strangers on the train.

"Y/n?" Megumi asked. You looked at him and smiled.

"What are you smiling about?"

Before you could answer, the train stopped and he said, "Here's our stop." He grabbed your wrist and you walked out with him.

The two of you crossed the bridge going over the railway. The sun was just on the horizon, about to set over it. The city buildings glowed orange from the sun. 

When you got onto the path, he asked you again why you were smiling.

"I had a good dream," You told him, stopping in your tracks.

"About what?"

"She'll wake up," You answered, smiling brightly with tears welling in your eyes.

Megumi's eyes began to water and his hand went to pinch the bridge of his nose to try to control his tears. "Oh my god, Y/n..."

You laughed a bit, teardrops spilling from both your eyes and his.

"Are you serious?" He asked in a shaky voice, looking back up at you.

You nodded and didn't hesitate to pull him into a hug. He cried onto the shoulder of your jacket and mumbled, "Thank you so much, Y/n."

"What for?"

"For everything."

He pulled back and wiped his eyes with his hands, but you pulled out a packet of tissues from your pocket and gave one to him.

He smiled at you the biggest smile you'd seen, grinning from ear to ear, and you were reminded of the first time you saw him smile. The two of you had gone to visit Tsumiki for the first time in hospital together, and you'd told him how he shouldn't bottle things up.

"Ok... thanks, Y/n." And for the first time, he gently smiled at you.

He slowly took your wrist and pulled you closer to him. He slid the other arm around your waist. His face was close to yours and you were reminded of the time in the hotel where he almost kissed you.

He took his hand off your wrist and used it to cup your face. 

"Will you let me do what I should've done a week ago?"