prologue

6 years ago, 2016
Brooklyn, New York

What happened to me wasn't supposed to happen, not the way it did. I was only a kid, so young with such a bright future, I don't know why I did what I did, what I didn't know was years later I'd end up having to pay or it.

It was a supposed to be a regular day for 18 year old me. It was around 7:20pm, when my friends and I finally finished with after school study and were on our way home after taking the train.

That week was the deadline to submit college essays, I was supposed to go home and finish up mine.
That was the plan.

However that was all snatched away from me, because of me.

A phone vibrates causing me to turn and face him, as we stood in the middle of the side walk, our houses were only ten minutes away from here.

"Ayo... I gotta run... my mom is bitching bout my room. I'll see yall in the morning, don't forget we got that stupid math class, you this to study alright." Sean tells Alissa and I before tossing me his math textbook as he runs in a different direction.

I caught it before smiling as I watched the way Alissa was staring at Sean, I sighed before speaking, "you know if you don't tell him before you go to college, you're going to regret it." I tell her.

She snaps her head towards me quickly, "you know I can't do that. He just thinks we're friends, besides its better this way. My parents would literally kill me if they found out instead of studying to get into a high league college, I'm focused on boys." She tells me.

"All I'm saying is y'all would make pretty cute babies, and I wouldn't mind being your bridesmaid." I joke causing her to laugh and nudge me as we turn down her block.

A car pulls up next to us, causing both of us to turn and see a familiar suv, the window rolls down and it was Alissa's mother.

"Alissa get in, I'm going to the store." Her mother tells her, Alissa nods, "Afternoon, Miss Ranch." I greet her politely as Alissa approaches the passenger side of the car.

"Hey sweetheart, you want a ride home?" She offers.

I shake my head, "thank you, but no. my house is only five minutes from here." I tell her with a smile.

"Well, alright. You be safe now." She tells me and I nod, turning back to Alissa who was already in the car.

"You should get home before your aunt does." Alissa suggest causing me to laugh out loud, "like they'll ever happen." I state.
She's rarely never home, and if she is she doesn't stay long. She'll drop off money for the bills and groceries, and then'll be gone within minutes.

"I'll text you about tomorrows test later, byeeeeeee" She says before waving as the car drives off, I wave back smiling. I turn back before crossing the street and continued my route home.

I pulled out my keys, placing selective keys between my fingers as I prepare to walk towards my block, it was always dark in this part of the city, and the government would refuse to brighten the dark alleys, that would make a mother scared to send their children down.

I gripped my phone tightly, along with my textbook just incase someone would try to come and try to rob me, only a few minutes away from the apartment complex, I walked past and open but yet dark alley hearing the sound of crying.

I slowly inch around the corner to see three figures crowded a shorter one, the shorter one was obviously a woman.

The men all looked scary, and much stronger then the woman, the one with the bulging veins didn't even look like he was American. The one with tattoos from his forearm to neck, also looked foreign.