LXXVI

RYAN

BRIEFLY EVERYTHING WAS SERENE, it almost felt like Giovanni, and I were normal, like a regular couple on their way home from a trip or a vacation. Things we be so much easier for the both of us if we were normal, if we were in fact on a vacation and decided it was finally time to go home to the kids.

What I told him earlier wasn't a lie. I often did think about the decisions I've made in my past, and how If the universe were to give me another chance what would I choose?

Although my answer was always the same, I also questioned how different my life would be. By now I'd probably be an over-worked, underpaid nurse trying to rekindle the broken relationship with my aunt who wants nothing to do with me, while distracting myself with one night stands, and forgettable bar meet ups to realize that I will never be able to fall in love because I don't believe in it.

The big what if was not about me choosing to erase my past but if the brothers had not shown up at that shitty pizzeria that night.

"You know you can take a nap, right? We still have another hour or two before we make it to Marco's location." He tells me with eyes focused on the dark road ahead as he brings me out of my thoughts as he holds my hand tightly as if he doesn't want to let it go.

"Whose fault is it that I'm yawning in the first place? If I remember correctly you were the one who said 'fuck sleep' am I right?" I point out watching the smirk arise on his face.

"Oh, being cheeky are we?"

His question causes me to laugh; "Cheeky? Since when do you use words like cheeky?" I ask in a British tone causing his eyes to widen.

"What the hell was that? Were you trying to sound British or something?" He asks obviously making fun of me.

"What? Was it believable?"

"No. Not even the slightest." He pauses causing both of us to laugh, before he continues, "Besides, it's not like it's my fault you ask for more than you can take." He bites back and I scoff.

"I know you did just say that."

"I so just did." He challenges me and I laugh softly before speaking; "If I didn't know any better it sounds like you want to pull this car over right now and take me in the middle of the road." I state, and there was a sudden darkness in his eyes.

"Who said anything about pulling the car over?" He states and my eyes widen at his words.

"Aren't you tired?" I ask him shocked how any man can still have the stamina to keep going after tonight.

"Of you? Never. I waited over two years to have you again, and I promised myself when I do, I was never letting you go. I don't intend on breaking that promise, Ryan." He explains before lifting my hand to his mouth and placing a kiss on it.

I look at him in awe of all that was. A man. My man.

"Now, before I do end up making you more sore than you already are, I need you get some rest, okay." He tells me softly.

"Fine. But I'm only doing so because I am tired, not because you told me too." I say and I watch as he softly smiles.

"Right because when do you listen to me...." He trails off making a point but in all fairness he was right.

From the beginning.
List of reasons why he didn't like me to begin with, what were they?

"You don't know when to listen, when to speak, you're stubborn, hard-headed, hard of hearing"