Chapter 3-Old F(r)iends

Some days before Thongar met the Thieve's Guild Astram arrived at Chesterwall. It was a rainy night, but he could notice the city lights from afar along with the famous wall of the town. There were guards at the gate, he did not try to get pass them cause he did not want any trouble in case he got caught even if that was not that easy. When he actually reached the gate the guards did not pay any attention to him and he passed into the town easily. Astram asked them for the inn.

-It is in the main square, you cannot miss it, please hurry up, the guard replied.

Astram did not need to hear it a second time, he quickly moved and tried to make himself familiar with the town. He hid in the shadows and wondered for a bit in rainy night without using in any of the town's main streets. Naturally he made it to the main square which was paved with fine marble as the most of the town's streets were. He actually liked that, the town was well cleaned and the streets were maintained in good condition. This will help a quick escape when he will need it, he was sure he will need a quick escape. While thinking all of those preparations he had to do he managed to reach the biggest inn in town, The Flagon Slayer . From the outside, it was a part wood part stone well built building which had three floors along with the common room. He looked inside through the closest window, the inn was well crowded, a bard was playing his lute and sung a very popular tune and the crowd was singing with him, some of the them were clearly drunk. Astram moved to quickly to get in. While trying to open the door, someone coming out of the inn pushed the door and hit Astram. He was clearly drunk, his friend who accompanied him apologised to Astram.

-Sorry stranger, my friend Thongar is completely wasted.

-No worries I understand, when the ale is good and music is fine these things occur.

-Come on Thongar you have to work tomorrow morning come on.

-... Thongar did not manage to speak and passed out.

Thongar's friend lift him up to his shoulders and left trying not to get fully wet from the pouring rain. Astram on the other hand got inside the inn. He reached to the reception, the owner of the The Flagon Slayer Philokles was looking at some lists when he noticed the newcomer Astram

-How can I help you this fine night? I am Philokles the innkeeper, call me Philo if you like

-Hello I believe there is a room booked for me in the name Grimaldi.

-Well yes the biggest suite in the inn, third floor, let me escort you there. I see you travel light, said the innkeeper noticing only Astram's small backpack. Let me get that

-No! There is no problem with that, Astram responded a little being bit intimidating and a little bit defending.

-Sure sir let me show you to your room.

Philokles led the way, he went up the wooden stairs and Astram got the chance to see the rest of the inn. The inn was alluring inside as it was on the outside. Wooden beams support the upper floor and the sconces attached to them. The walls on the both sides of the stairs and the hallway were littered with all kinds of memorabilia though whether they 're collected or donated Astram was not sure. The stair spindle was made out of mahogany which was really rare and expensive at that point and finished with a shiny gloss. After three sets of stairs they reached the third floor and Philokles took out of his pocket a big gold key. The door of the suite was made by reinforced wood and gold varnish on the middle and on the side. Philokles opened the door and there it was. A very luxurious and comfortable room with a huge kingsize bed, a table, a sofa and two very comfortable lounge chairs.

-Here you are Mr Grimaldi, said Philokles.

-I am not Mr Grimaldi, Mr Grimaldi is just my boss, you can call me Astram Mr Philo.

-Are you coming down for the Bard's show tonight?

-No, and please I don't want to be bothered by anyone, act like I am not here unless it is something urgent.

-Yes Mr Astram as you wish.

-Goodnight Philokles, I would like to get comfortable and get some rest.

The innkeeper left the gold key in the table and left the room. Astram did not pay any attention in that and started unpacking his few belongings. He found his most important belonging at this point, the letter that was given to him by Mr Grimaldi his boss. He was instructed not to open till he reached Chesterwall. He first had the desire of a hot bath. Philokles had the hot tub ready for him. He undressed quickly and got into the tub, at this point he was so lucky that he was working for Mr Grimaldi, he had some tough years after he left the thieve's guild at the metropolis but now he was working for that huge Client, a few people knew that Mr Grimaldi was a crime lord , he actually had the facade of a successful and rich merchant, he could actually influence a lot of important people in the kingdom. While Astram was thinking all of those things and trying to make amends with himself for some crimes he had been a part of, so he said to himself.

-It's kill or be killed.

He went out of the tub and dried up. He wore some more comfortable clothes actually the one of the three pairs he had with him, he hid his weapons which included a small hand crossbow and bolts and two big daggers, he was used to fight like that, a trained assassin. Mr Grimaldi's letter was there were he left it at the luxurious table. He took his dagger and broke Mr Grimaldi's seal.

Astram opened the envelope, two pieces of paper were included. Astram checked the first of the two pieces of paper with interest. He got very interested so that he did not realised that he was fully nude. He left the piece of paper in the table and the second one got his attention. The first piece of paper had a drawing of an artifact he did not have seen before yet it seemed familiar to him . The second one had a letter by his employer Mr Grimaldi, Τhe Client. Astram's face got suddenly serious. He went through the letter one more time. Then again and again and again.

-I think I need a drink he said to himself.

Astram got dressed as quickly as he could and got out of his room. His face was an amalgamation of pain, sadness and fury. He quickly went down to the common room of the Flagon Slayer and sat at the bar. He ordered a pint of ale to the beautiful bar hostess and tried to pay attention to the bard who already sang a few songs.

-The next song is about the Legendary Thieve's Guild everybody, whether you believe on it or not enjoy this one... Let's go.

Astram's face and mood turned sour, he ordered a glass of Dragon's Water, then another one then another one. His mood worsen by the second. He stood up. Everything was blurry. He could not find balance so he had to hold the bar with his hands. He turned to the bard and shouted...

-Enough with the stupid Thieve's Guild, enough. He threw his glass on the wall and shouted to Philokles

-Charge Mr Grimaldi with that...

He tried to move as quickly as his drunken mind let him. He climbed the stairs and tried to reach his room which he managed to do with great difficulty. The bard went on playing as a professional that he was. Astram on the other hand was in a bad place. He reached his room and without even folding his clothes he fell in the bed.

Some hours passed, or it was a few minutes. Astram felt that he just slept for a quarter of an hour even if it was 11 o'clock. He got up in a hurry he had to start working on the objectives that were set on Mr Grimaldi's letter. THAT DAMN LETTER. He wished he did not have to follow the instructions, he did not believe everything that was in that letter, maybe yes... but no. Mr Grimaldi was lying? The Client? Mr Grimaldi was always straightforward to him since the first day he started working for him, the day he left the Thieve's Guild. That was everything he was thinking while he was preparing. He wore his hood and cloak. He quickly left the inn and tried to make himself scarce in the nearby corridors. He inspected the town for a while and took a major detour. He reached the other side of the town and after he waited for a while and found one of his targets, who was walking towards the town's market. He followed him easily as the place was crowded. His target stoped at a shop at the right side of the marbled street. He followed him and passed by the store always wearing his hood and pretended he was looking at the goods of the nearby grocery store. Astram did not loose sight of his target. He waited for him to leave the store he went in and Astram went the other way.

Elladan Ravensroar. We meet again he whispered.