[6] let me prove i'm not gay

Friday comes around far too fast, and before the game has even started, we know that we're going to lose.

I'm honestly not sure why anyone even bothers playing for this team at this point. It seems that our own team is secretly aware that we're a flaming pile of shit but everyone is too afraid to say it. After all, the main issue within our team stems from the coach's inability to properly handle our team and I think that everyone's too afraid to complain about his poor decision-making.

Instead of focusing on the player's actual abilities, he sets up plays according to his distorted view of the team. His biggest issue, perhaps, is that he spends too much time trying to coach his own son, John Ostrowski, who objectively has way less talent than most of the other boys on the team. None of this is shocking, though, as the coach has never exactly been one to be able to recognize his own son's wrongs.

The whole stadium was silent-not because they were enthralled in what was happening, but more likely because they were disappointed in their own team.

The other team was better than us in every single way: they were stronger, faster, and far more in tune than this team could ever hope to be. With every point that they scored, I could feel my own team begin to lose interest in the game. The only person who was still putting his all into the game was Ostrowski, and truthfully, his performance was still entirely inadequate.

By half time, the only person who had scored us any points was Jamie. Though, this isn't shocking. Jamie tends to outperform everyone on the team, which is unfortunate because everyone tends to not give him any credit.

We play the game till the end, and it seems that no one's shocked when we lose. However, some of the guys still throw their little hissy fit about losing after the game in the locker room. Honestly, I didn't really care if we won or lost that game. I was more excited to hang out with Mikaela after the game.

Truly, I hadn't been that into the idea of going out with Mikaela at first. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like I needed this. The others are right, I really don't give enough people a chance, and I have nothing to lose. It's not like I told this girl that we could start dating, we were just hanging out to see if anything could happen.

I drove Mikaela home after the game which felt a bit odd, as I'm used to hanging out with Jamie after these games.

An awkward atmosphere filled the car throughout the car drive home. It wasn't anything too unbearable; really, it just felt like we didn't have that much to talk about. Mostly, we just talked about Lydia and how we both knew her.

"I was honestly a little bit surprised when Lydia told me that you were interested," Mikaela admitted as we pulled into my driveway.

I thought on this for a moment, not answering until the two of us got out of the car and began to walk toward my front door. I felt that I was supposed to say something reassuring, something that would make it seem like I couldn't understand why Mikaela would feel this way. But realistically, it did make a lot of sense. I didn't usually give people that I didn't know well a chance. So, instead of giving a bullshitted response, I replied honestly.

"Yeah, well, I don't usually go out with people that often," I started, "But I'm just, I don't know, I guess I'm just sort of ready to put myself out there a bit more." I hated the way that I spoke in situations like this. I've never been one to have a way with words. I just sound so... stupid and awkward.

"I'm glad you gave me a chance then."

God, this feels so fucking weird, I think as I open the door. And if it's not awkward now, it's going to be even more awkward in a second. You see, the thing is that my house has a fairly open floor plan. From the hallway, you can see into the living room and a little bit into the kitchen. So, whenever my parents are home, they tend to be able to see me when I'm getting home-and unluckily for me, both of them were sitting on the living room couch. Normally, this doesn't pose as that much of an issue, but I'd rather not have them notice that I'm bringing a girl home.