[11] sorry to interrupt

Lydia drives this small punch-buggy, and unfortunately, I'm not some short 5'0 tiny little thing like Lydia. As she drives me to Jamie's, I keep managing to hit my head against the roof of her car, as well as the car door. I'm not sure if it's because I'm too tall or if it's because I'm too drunk to fully control my body. Probably a combination of both, honestly.

She parks her car in Jamie's driveway and turns to me. With concern riddled in her words, she asks, "You're good to walk yourself in?"

I didn't tell Jamie that I was coming over, but we have the kind of friendship where he doesn't mind if I just randomly walk into his house. I've had a spare key to his house since sophomore year, as there were times where his family would want me to house-sit while they went on vacation. Once they gave me the key, they just let me hold onto it because they figured that there would be many times like this where I would just come over unannounced. I always kept the spare key to Jamie's house on my keychain, right next to my own house keys.

"I should be fine, yeah," I say with confidence, but the second that I step foot out of her car, I tumble over onto the grass.

I can hear Lydia loudly laugh and say, "Idiot," before getting out of the car.

She walks over to where I lay on the grass and lends out a hand to help me up. She's not necessarily strong enough to pull me up, but the extra support is still definitely nice as I stand up again. Lydia leads me to Jamie's door as if I'm her pet dog.

I hold Jamie's keys in my hand now, trying to insert it into the lock but with no luck. With the combination of the darkness and my blurred vision, I find great difficulty in getting the door to open.

"Just give me the keys," Lydia takes them from my hand and jiggles them in the lock before opening the door and handing the keys back to me.

"I should be fine now," I mumble, and I'm not even sure that it's a comprehensible sentence but Lydia gives me a nod of reassurance as I walk into Jamie's house alone.

I try my hardest to not make any noise as I walk through the downstairs of Jamie's house. As I'm walking through the living room, I trip again and end up falling onto the soft brown carpeting. Only now do I realize that Matt, Jamie's older brother, is sitting on the couch. I can see him looking at me with amusement.

"He's upstairs in his room," Matt chuckles, and then more hesitantly, he continues on to say, "He's got a friend over, though."

"A friend?" I question. What other friends does Jamie even have?

"I don't know his name," Matt shrugs.

I lift myself up off the floor, "Alright, thanks."

When I finally do manage to get into Jamie's room, I can see him and another guy hanging out on his bed. Jamie looks at me in surprise; perhaps I should have texted him before coming over. The other guy looks to Jamie as if asking, who the fuck is this? I'm too drunk to care though.

"What're you doing here?" Jamie questions.

"Lydia... Lyd... Lydia," I stagger over the pronunciation, "Lydia drove me here."

"You're drunk," Jamie notes with an emotion that's hard to read. Not annoyance, but perhaps concern.

I couldn't help but feel bad now. Looking at Jamie, I began to apologize, "I should've asked first. I'm sorry... I'm really sorry. I just... I got into this whole thing at the party... and then I had to go and I... I couldn't go home. I wasn't expecting you to have anyone over."