Getting Ready

I was at my door, I had just gotten my gift. I lifted a jar with my mind, my eyes glowed green. Abuela smiled in approval. "We have a new gift." She walked over and held my hand, my eyes glowed green again. "Why were you worried earlier." I asked seeing into her thoughts, after seeing that as part of my gift, no one would touch me for the rest of the night. 

        I walked through my door, it was dark. Suddenly, a green light began to glow. A man in a hooded green ruana was singing.                                                                                                                        "Tolín, Tolán, Tolán, Tolín

Navegan sus barcos en un solo mar Tolín, Tolán, Tolán, TolínNavegan sus barcos después de jugar"

        I walked towards the man, I knew him. "Papa." I said softly, I tried to go to him, but the path to get to him got longer. No matter how hard I try, I couldn't get to him. Suddenly, he stopped singing. "Alex, Alex." He called my name, I reached for him. His voice changed, "Alex, get up."

        Reluctantly I open my eyes, my cousin is shaking my arm. "I'm up, I'm up." I say sitting up, Camilo gives me his signature smirk. "No, you're still in bed." He says, I am unprepared for what happens next. "Vamo!" Camilo picking me up bridal style, he then drops me on my cold floor. "Camilo!" I yell furiously, he only gives a small chuckle. "Get dressed, we have to get ready for Antonio's ceremony." He says while leaving, I groan walking over to my wardrobe. I pull on a black ruana with green eyes on it. I put on some black pants on and pull on some black boots.

      When I arrive downstairs, I see my cousin Mirabel talking to some kids about the family. "Hola, prima." I say, she looks at me and smiles. "Hey, Alex." She replies before turning her attention back to the children. "Ah, You're not going to leave me alone, are you?" She asks, giving a smile. Suddenly there is music and Mirabel begins to sing. It may seem odd, but it's a regular occurrence in the Encanto. People from out of town find it weird when we tell them that randomly breaking into song happens everyday.

"This is our home We've got every generation

So full of music A rhythm of its own design

This is my family A perfect constellation

So many stars And everybody gets to shine ,whoa."  Mirabel sings as the family begins to get ready. Abuela walks out of her room.

"But let's be clear Abuela runs this show, whoa

She led us here So many years ago, whoa

And every year Our family blessings grow." She continues, we all follow Abuela out of Casita.

        Abuela lets everyone know what they need to get done today, my job is to help Camilo, but that's just how Abuela tells me to stay out of the way. Camilo and I are on babysitting duty, as usual. A kid tugs on my ruana, I've never seen her before. "Are you a boy or a girl?" She asks, I give her a smile. "I, mi amiga, am neither." I say booping her nose, she giggles. "What are your powers?" She asks, I kneel down to her level. "I can move things with my mind, I can also read minds, and I can talk through telepathy." The girl's jaw drops, "Estas un telepata?" She asks and I nod. "What am I thinking?" The girl asks with excitement. "Gimme your hand." I say, she holds her hand out eagerly. "You want your mami to make more polvorosas." I reply, she looks at me in shock. "Incredible!" She says, Camilo comes over holding a baby. "Oi, Anabelle, stop harassing my primi and come join the other children." He tells her, he then looks at me. "The Ramirez twins are asking for a puppet show." He says rocking the baby in his arms, I smile. "On it."