Getting ready (Pt. 2)

"Only two more kids need to be picked up." I tell Camilo, he nods, there was only twenty more minutes until Abuela said we needed to be back at Casita. I offer to take the baby Camilo is holding, I figure he could use a break from posing to be the baby's mother. "Are you sure? He's really picky." I giggle at Camilo's statement, of course I can handle it. "Yeah, I got it." I reply, he puts the baby into my arms. The baby looks at me and begins to cry. Jeez I didn't think I look that bad. "Here-" I cut Camilo off before he can tell me off. "I got it." I say, my eyes go from hazel to glowing green. I began to read the baby's memories and search his mind. He doesn't like the way my hair covers my eye. I move my ravenette locks out of my left eye. I look for something else, and found it.

"Arrorró mi niño,

arrorró mi sol,
arrorró pedazo,
de mi corazón.

Este niño lindo
ya quiere dormir;
háganle la cuna
de rosa y jazmín.

Háganle la cama
en el toronjil,
y en la cabecera
pónganle un jazmín
que con su fragancia
me lo haga dormir."

The child falls asleep in my arms. "Impressive." Camilo says, escorting Anabelle to her mother. "It's an easy task when you can read minds." I reply softly, not wanting to wake the baby. A few minutes later the child's mother picks him up. "We better go." Camilo says, I nod and follow him back to the house.

As I approach the hill I hear Maribel and the kids going back and forth.

"My family's amazing."

"Mirabel?"

"And I'm in my family so..."

"Mirabel?"

"Well..."

Suddenly the upbeat tune surrounding my prima stops. "Mirabel!" Our Abuela shouts, she gives a confused look. Camilo and I subtly go to the sidelines. "What are you doing?" Abuela asks Mirabel, who looks almost guilty. "Uh, they were just asking about the family and-"

"SHE WAS GONNA TELL US ABOUT HER SUPER AWSOME GIFT!" A kid exclaimed, my heart sunk a little. "Oh, Maribel didn't get one." Dolores says, she then squeaks and walks away. Camilo takes the opportunity to leave. "You didn't get a gift?" A kid asks in shock. "Um..." Maribel looks uneasy, I step forward. "No, but Maribel is still super special and an amazing person." I say, Mirabel gives me a look to say 'thanks'. 

"Mirabel! Delivery!" The delivery man hands Mirabel a basket. "I gave you the special since you're the only Madrigal kid with no Gift. I call it the 'Not Special Special' since, uh, you have no Gift." I roll my eyes at the man, is this intended to make her feel better? "Thanks." Mirabel says in an unsure tone. "Oh, and tell Antonio good luck. The last Gift ceremony was a bummer. Last one being yours that did not work." The man says, I glare at him a little. "Uh-huh." 

"If I was you, I'd be really sad." A little girl that had been trailing Mirabel says. "Well, my little friend, I am not. Because the truth is, Gift or no Gift, I am just as special as the rest of my family." Mirabel says turning her head towards Casita. 

"Who wants more pink?" Isabella says, growing beautiful flowers 

 "All right, guys, where do I drop the wagon?" Luisa says, showing off her strength. 

"Maybe your Gift is being in denial." A kid says, I step between Mirabel and the kids. "Alright scram!" I yell, all the kids disperse into the streets.