Chapter Eight: Family Reunion: Part Three

"So what are we going to do? Last time we scoped them out they were 17." James asked his wife.

"I don't really know. I think at this point we should just do this for fun. We're never getting Pikachu, and we don't need to. The boss retired ten years ago." Jesse replied.

"You're right. Meowth?" James said.

"Yeah. I agree. These twerps ain't worth the trouble no more." Meowth agreed.

Back At The Party

"So, I guess you could say I've known this beautiful woman for a long time." Ash explained to some relatives that he hadn't met before.

Ash's grandmother spoke, "You two are so cute together. I knew it was going to last the second I met you." She said, pointing the comment at Serena.

Serena blushed. "Thank you..."

"Grandma, you're embarrassing her." Ash said.

Delia giggled. "Oh my, I still remember when she jokingly asked if you guys were going to give her any grandbabies. Then, you said yes, and told her about the pregnancy. She looked like she was going to pass out."

Now, Yellow was embarrassed.

"Well, I didn't expect it so soon-"

"Mom, you and pop had me when you guys were 18. I would've expected you of all people to not be shocked." Ash's father shot back.

"He's right, dear." Red chuckled softly.

The party went on for a few more hours, until it was time for dinner. They all ate and shared stories. It was a great time for everybody. Except for one person. Ashley Ketchum. His heart was pounding, he was scared to move. He was trapped in his thoughts until he felt something.

"...ain't that right son?" Ash said nudging his son with his elbow.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah, that's right."

Ash noticed his son's strange behavior. Serena had sort of noticed it.

"There's this really funny photo of this kiddo right here in my wallet...ah crap. I left my wallet in the car. Come on, kid. It's dark and I need some help." Ash said standing up, giving his wife a kiss. "We'll be right back."

Serena was confused as she saw his wallet bulging in his right pocket, where it usually was. Pikachu, who was sitting on her lap, cocked his head at his owners lack of realization. However, Serena finally caught on.

With The Boys

They got outside, and sat in the car.

"So what's going on kid? You were acting really strange." Ash asked.

"N-Nothing."

"I'm your dad. I can read you like a book. I can tell something's wrong." Ash explained.

"Alright. Fine. I'm just really nervous that's all." Ashley admitted.

"Bout what?"

"I, uh, overheard Leaf and Selene talking. Selene asked if we were ever going to get married etc. Long story short, Leaf said that she would like if I proposed tonight. Which I was already going to do." Ashley explained.

"Just go for it." Ash told him.

"Huh?"

"Just do it. Like when I proposed to your mom, I just found my moment and did it." Ash explained.

"Well, if I recall from you telling us the story, it was the evening and you two were coming back from mom's victory in keeping her spot as Kalos Queen. You had romantic scenery and a river. I have a big table."

"That doesn't matter. She'll just be happy you did it."

"Ya know, you're right." Ashley admitted.

"Just, pick your moment very carefully."

"Alright. I will." He confirmed.

They got out of the car and returned to their seats.

"Sorry for taking so long. I found my wallet but unfortunately that picture is at home."

Around 25 minutes went by, and Ashley waited for his moment.

"Well, I guess that about wraps up our-" Red started.

"No! Uh...wait...I have something to say!" Ashley interrupted. It got dead silent and everyone was looking at him. His father, however, smiled. He knew what was going to happen.

Ashley turned to Leaf.

"So...uh...well...ever since I first met you when we were little, I had a feeling, a big feeling, that you were going to be someone very important to me. Over time, as we ran through the forest or got into trouble together, I began to understand why. To quote my mom, 'One day she won't be just a friend to you'. I didn't know what she meant, as I was nine, but she told me I'd 'Understand when I'm older'. And I did. It was love."

He stood up, and people began catching on. Leaf was blushing very hard. He got on one knee, and pulled out the ring from earlier.

"And that's why I am asking you, Leaf Meredith Oak, to marry me." He asked.

"Of course." Leaf said, fighting back tears.

He put the ring on her finger and they kissed. Everyone was cheering. He had done it.