4. Walk of Flame

The walk of shame.

That might be the next thing everyone expects to see from her. Only, Cobie is determined to turn the table around this time. Instead of a walk of shame, she's going to give them the walk of flame. Because she's on fire right now.

Just thirty minutes ago, she considered playing dumb by laughing at her stupidity with everyone else as if it wasn't a big deal. Everyone admires Luke after all! But then it would mean she admitted she had a crush on Luke publicly, and it would put her back to the same spot as almost a decade ago: a public joke.

After some thorough thoughts, Cobie has decided to fight for the remaining pride she has. People know what they know until new evidence comes into play and changes the whole game. She just needs to create new false evidence. And soon, everyone won't be able to draw the line between the actual fact and the illusory fact. Yes, she's working on damage control now.

Cobie lets out a deep breath and releases it through her mouth when the elevator doors slide open, revealing the busy office floor. She peers at her battlefield. Her colleagues are now talking, typing, phoning, burying their faces in the computer screens, or just spacing out at their desks. None of them seems to notice her yet. With an optimistic smile plastered on her face, Cobie holds her head high and strides along the office aisle, ignoring people's gazes as they begin to catch her presence.

She keeps her eyes straight. A few more desks and she will be out of everyone's sight, hidden behind her cubicle walls, her sanctuary. It's when she sees the new guy from the marketing division lean on her cubicle and grin widely at her, making his plump cheeks look like a chipmunk stuffed with jumbo peanuts.

She stops short and smiles at him. "Mark."

"Cobie," he greets, the smirk never leaving his face. "Just wanted to check if you got my client's data ready."

"I thought you would need it tomorrow?"

"True. But I was just wondering if you'd have it by now."

"I barely started it. I've been occupied with other tasks."

"Oh right, you were occupied." Mark clicks his tongue.

When his smile grows even wider, Cobie is so close to smacking his face with the mouse pad on the desk next to her. Instead, she curls her fingers inwardly to make a fist and forces a smile. "It will be sent to your email tomorrow before lunch."

"I will be checking my email then."

She knows better than to reply to his remark. Still keeping her smile, she nods to signal that the conversation is over, but to her surprise, the man stays rooted to his spot, wearing the same smirk. She raises one eyebrow. "Is there anything else you need from me?"

"No, not really." Mark prompts himself up from the cubicle wall. "Your hair looks gorgeous by the way."

"Thanks?"

"Must be hard maintaining beautiful silky hair like that."

She stares at his eyes, seizing him before shifting her eyes to his completely bald head. "You have no idea."

Mark quickly rubs his head, grinning once again as he walks away. Cobie rolls her eyes and marches to her desk, turning a deaf ear to the repressed giggling from other desks.

This, too, shall pass, Cobie.