Back to Work

Sophia's POV

2 months later

"Hunter!" I whispered for the hundredth time as I shook my husband's sleeping body which was right next to mine.

Realizing he wasn't going to answer me, I sighed in defeat then got out of bed. I walked out of our bedroom to the nursery where I picked up my crying son.

"Mommy's here now Blaze," I whispered.

We walked out of the nursery, heading to the kitchen as I tried to calm him down by cradling him. It was four in the morning and I knew exactly what that meant, feeding time.

Blaze cries for a bottle every day, at exactly four in the morning. Each day, Hunter and I would take turns feeding him. Today was supposed to be Hunter's.

I took the bottle of milk which was prepared and put it to heat. After, I fed him until he slowly fell asleep.

I stared at the sleeping baby in my hands. It had been two months since I had him and I still watch him in disbelief sometimes.

He was a very quiet and precious baby. The only time you would hear him cry, is when he is hungry. So far all his features belonged to his father. From the very few black hairs that were on his head to the shape of his tiny toes. If someone who didn't know me saw him, they wouldn't have a clue I was his mother.

...

I was mixing pancake batter I had made from scratch when I felt two arms wrap around my waistline. I didn't have to look back to know who it was.

"Get off of me," I scolded as I attempted to push him away but instead, he started to shower my neck with kisses.

I bit my lip as I tried to hold in the smile that was forming on my lips.

"I'm sorry," he repeated as he kissed me from side to side.

I turned around to him trying my best to put on my serious face. "We had a deal. We promised we would take turns feeding Blaze and this morning was yours."

I wasn't mad that I had to feed Blaze but I liked it when things go according to plan.

"I know," he said as he pulled away. "How about I take care of breakfast while you go get ready to fill in for me today. Mm?"

My eyes perked up as I registered what he had just said. I hadn't been to work ever since I had Blaze and it was killing me. I managed things from home along with Hunter and Jannette's help.

"Really?"

He nodded then looked on his watch. "You better hurry because there's a meeting in less than an hour."

I smiled then pecked his lips before running upstairs. I quickly showered and brushed my teeth.

I slipped into a black, large sleeve flare pantsuit out of the closet. It was a bit much but I am making sure my comeback is stylish.

I walked into the bathroom to do my makeup when I saw a huge hickey on the side of my neck.

"I'm going to kill him," I muttered under my breath with gritted teeth. I couldn't walk back into the office for the first time in months with a big ass hickey on my neck. I sighed then picked up my concealer.

When I was finished, I walked back to the kitchen where I saw Hunter feeding Blaze. I had to admit, he was a good dad. At times I would get jealous of how easy he made it look. He would catch on to things better than me. For example, swaddling the baby. How does he do it so perfectly?

I sighed then walked in. His gaze raised to my approaching figure.

"Look, Blaze, mommy is here," he whispered to our son as he kissed him on the cheek.

I gave him a small smile before sitting at the table to eat. I silently ate as Hunter continued to play with Blaze. I didn't even bother to mention the hickey that he had given me this morning.

When I was finished, I picked up my bag and walked to the door. Hunter followed me as he held Blaze.

I stood awkwardly in front of the door on the outside as I watched them. I didn't want to leave. It felt like my first day of high school all over again. "Well, I'm leaving."

He observed me for a while. "I love you." he quickly replied before slamming the door in my face. I wasn't even given a chance to reply nor say my farewells to Blaze.

I walked to my car and started the engine. Hunter was still a confusing man at times. Sometimes he would be the most affectionate husband to exist then he would be so distant.

Some people fail to mention if the mixed signals go away after you get together or not. Well, they don't, at least not with Hunter Lodge. I hated that side of him. No matter how hard I'd try, he still wouldn't fully open up. My grip tightened on the stirring wheel as I thought about it.

Despite that, he is still a good husband. He tries to tell me he loves me before he goes to work in the mornings. I've also gotten to know small details about him I didn't know before. For instance, he secretly sings horribly and loudly in the shower late at night when he thinks I'm sleeping, he finds the unfunniest jokes funny and when he's upset he unconsciously clenches his jaw. My grip on the stirring wheel loosened as a smile replaced my scowl.

To me, those goods outweigh the bad.

In less than no time I reached Lodge Enterprises. I was greeted with pleasant smiles and waves from the employees on my way to the elevator. The same greetings were given to me when I reached the top floor where Hunter's office was located.

Selena, Hunter's assistant, sat at her desk. She rolled her eyes when she saw me and dropped two folders in my hand. "You've got company."

I don't know how I managed not to make Hunter fire her as yet. She always tests my patience. I shook my head and pushed open the door, only to see the last person I'd expected.

"Well, if it isn't my least favorite daughter-in-law."

AN: If this is your first time reading, welcome and if you're coming from the first book welcome back! As always thanking for choosing this book :)

Happy reading!